*Chapter 5* - The Mating Game

A/N: 
I'm sorry I've been absent, but here's an extra long chapter, hope you enjoy.
XoXo FriendsIsEverything

*Lucas's P.O.V.*

"Lucas, do you have time for a moment"

I hear Tobias, my father, call. I get a little confused before I go into the living room where I see both my father and mother sitting on the sofa, I slowly go and sit in the armchair across from them.

"What's going on?"

I ask confused, looking back and forth between my parents. My father spoke.

"Lucas you will be 25 years next month, and since you haven’t found your mate jet, me and your mother talked about that it might be a good idea that you participated in The Mating Game with our neighboring packs unmated members. We already know that it’s not in our pack your going to find your mate, if that was the case you would already have found her, but perhaps..."

He would continue but I interrupted him.

"Honestly dad, The Mating Game? For God's sake, it's not been used for several decades, why now? "

I ask surprise. My father smile at me.

"I know it have been a long time since the game has been in use, but I've talked with the Alphas in our nearest neighbor packs, and they are more than ready to have their unmated members to be part of The Mating Game. After all the chance to find your mate in The Game is big, so it's a way to make a lot of people happy. The last time The Mating Game was used, 31 couples found each other, here among your mother and I, so we know that it is possible to find your mate in The Game. The Mating Game is a fine way to ensure that unmated members of the various packs find their mates. And both the Moonlight pack, the bluesky and the Red Dust pack, have all agreed participated in The Game, so we have agreed that we inform our members about the upcoming Mating Game, and a moth from here The Mating Game start."

I stare at him before I come out with my thoughts.

"The Dust pack, are they ready to have ALL their unmatede members participate? What if they aren’t interested in participating? "

I ask. My mother looks at me in astonishment.

"Why should a person not be interested in participating in The Mating Game? All werewolves are as interested in finding their mate. And the Alpha and Luna are very interested in The Mating Game, since their daughter has not yet found her mate, and they therefore hope that she can find him in The Game."

"So it's definitely that Emily will attend?"

I ask and look in questioningly at her, and my mother nodding with a smile.

"Yes, of course. Both I and Brigitta hope that our children will find their mate, we want want you to be happy."

I crooked smile before I nod.

"Okay, I'm in, I will participate in The Mating Game, as you say, I do like to find my mate, and make her mine"

My mother applauding enthusiastically and exclaims.

"I am sure that you will find your mate in The Game"

I smile back at her before I say.

"I hope so, and that she will accept me as his mate"

My father questioningly at me as if he knows what I am going through, but I have not told him that I've whereabouts of my mate, and that I believe Emily is my mate, or that she for some reason don’t accept me at this time. At least I hope that it’s only at this time and that she hasn’t written me off completely. I know it is not 100% certain that it is Emily who is my mate as we haven’t touched each other, but even though I have no physical evidence that we are mates, I can feel that just the thought of Emily gets my wolf to go into overdrive, and that’s why I am sure that Emily is my mate.

*Emily P.O.V.*

"What is it that is so important that you needed to talk to me right now?"

I asked my parents. My father softly smiled at me.

"We want to talk to you because the Moonlight pack has suggested that we once again use The Mating Game and of cause we agreed and hope you are one of the lucky who find you mare in The Game."

He said, I look at him surprised, he couldn’t be serious, they had planned to resume THAT old tradition. The Mating Game, was the traditional way werewolves found their mate, and in all its simplicity, all unmated male and female wolves were part of The Mating Game with the hope that some of them would find their mate. When The Game starts, all the female wolves are sent off into the woods one hour before the male is allowed to run after them, then it was up to the he-wolves to find the she-wolves - which in the past hour had spread from all win. Then when a male wolf found a she-wolf he could through her ​​scent establish whether she was his mate or not, and if she was the he-wolf had the right to claime her right there on the spot.
As you properly can understand by the rules, I rather not participate in The Games because if Lucas finds and catches me then I have nothing to say if he want to claime me.Therefore I looked at my mom.

"But I don’t want to participate in The Mating Game, I'm not even 19 yet, so I've had less than a year to find my mate by the normal way"

My father looked at me with furrowed brows.

"The Mating Game IS the normal way. That was the way most of us found our mate in the past, the only reason we stopped, was the limited number of unmated wolves. But now there are once again a satisfying number of members who can participants in The Game so we have agreed that it’s time to resume to the old tradition again."

He smiles and looks lovingly at me. I know they are doing it for me to be happy, and I can’t bring myself to be honest to them by admit that I already know who my mate is, but that I can’t bring myself to accept him. My parents are still here, 29 years after they found each other, incorrigibly in love with each other, so they will never understand why I don’t want to accept my mate with open arms. My mother looks in questioningly at me.

"Is there any reason that your not delight at the chance to find your mate in The Mating Game?"

She asks. I quickly shake my head.

"I just think that The Mating Game is Old fashion. It's not the way I should meet my mate, I should go down the street and bump into someone who gave me butterflies in my stomach, and sparks throughout my body. That always been the way I thought I would find my mate, where I would be surprised to find him. The Mating Game makes it something planned and it has never been the way I have dreamed to meet him that I will spend the rest of my life with."

I say, and yes I know I'm lying to my parents, but only about wanting to find my mate, I've already found him, just the way I described, it just happened at a party that my brother hosted where I was pushed into Lucas, who at the time was busy to investigate Madeline almonds, he certainly had his tongue so far down her throat that it might as well be what he was doing. But the butterflies and the sparks was just as I told my parents I dreamed of, but to find out who your mate was while he was in the process of grabbing another girl, had never been a part of my dream scenario when I imagined to meet my mate. When I had felt that Lucas was stiffened, I had quickly backed away from him and become one with the dancing crowd, but I could still see his shining eyes and expectant facial expression when he bewildered had looked around, then I knew he had registered the spark you got at contact with your mate, his face expression fell and the disappointment took over when he didn’t see anyone near him. As Madeleine had tried to pull him to her again he had annoyed pulled away from her embrace and had left her with determination. The day that should have been the happiest in my life was the worst, my whole life I had dreamed of finding my mate, and when it finally happens, he's busy trying to get the pants off another girl. Therefore, I hadn’t thought about anything else than that he shouldn’t find out that it was me who was his mate. Since the day he had repeatedly chased my scent, but so far I had managed to hide from him. Of cause some time I was thinking if what I was doing was wrong, if I just should be with my mate, but everytime I thought about that, I could stop thinking of him together with other women, and I knew I couldn’t live with a mate where I should look the other way. My thoughts were interrupted by my father.

"1 month from today The Mating Game begin that mean the 6 September. We have to check how many of our pack member, who will participate and then get it coordinated with the school that you are absent for three weeks thereafter, but it schouln’t be a problem since the principals also is wolf, and I know he has two unmated daughters who also will participate."

He smiled, and I could see that both him and my mother were excited on my behalf, so I smiled gently and softly said.

"But then we have to see if I am one of those whose mate finds her."

My mother smiled and nodded, but before any of them had said more I excused myself quickly and left. I went up to my room and threw myself on the bed with a groan, how on earth could I avoid that Lucas found out that I was his mate when I had to spend 3 weeks in his presence.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Picture of Madeleine at the side 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*