•chapter 4•

"There was nothing more beautiful than her mind

"There was nothing more beautiful than her mind."

Awaiting Home and Occupied Minds

~

One moment, I was stood behind my father, the next, I had been flung backwards and almost hit a wall, if Kaleb hadn't of moved quickly and I slammed into him instead.

Our bodies crashed and we rolled on the ground, holding tightly onto each other so no more damage would be done to either of us. I panted when we stopped, looking down at Kaleb who was sprawled underneath me.

I heard shouting, cursing and rage filled yells. I looked around at the same time as Kaleb, noticing Rhysand was holding Cassian back from attempting to spring on my father. Feyre was beside the winged creature, trying and failing to calm him down.

My father, however, was looking towards me, his green eyes burning with devastation. I breathed roughly through my nose, recognising his guilty expression.

"Acacia- I'm sorry." My father muttered, shaking his head solemnly.

I gave him a pursed lip reassuring smile, suddenly feeling Kaleb shifting beneath me. I rolled to the side, lifting myself up in the process.

I went to move towards my father, but Kaleb grabbed my wrist, making me whirl on him. He studied me and then looked up at my father.

"He's dangerous." He said, his nostrils flaring in irritation.

I parted my lips slightly, yanking my hand from his grasp as I gave him a narrowed eye expression. "We're all dangerous."

I spun on my heel, stalking towards my father and taking his hand in mine, practically dragging him to the entrance. I stared Cassian down with a warning look as we stood on the balcony.

And then I winnowed away, taking my father with me.

•••

We arrived home and I was greeted by the fresh smell of Spring and the light breeze. My father was already storming off into our manor and I sighed, sifting my hand through a hedge as I followed him, feeling the leaves curl between my fingers.

As we entered the cold, empty house, he whirled on me, arms crossed. I pursed my lips, ready for a huge lecturing.

"You're lucky he didn't punish you for what you did." My father scolded, his eyes hard and teeth clenched.

I downcast my eyes, "I know that."

"Why did you do it?" His arms dropped and he stared at me with a look of desperation.

I remembered the story Rhysand told me, the truth. But who was telling the truth? Had my father lied to me all these years about his stolen love? Or was it just Rhys manipulating me to turn against my father.