•chapter 36•

"Will we ever lead a normal life with chaos and destruction clinging to us like orphaned children?"

Darkness and Light

~

Nothing seemed to matter, nothing seemed to exist, as all of my primal instincts narrowed in on my soul bound partner that was striking towards me at a pace that wasn't quick enough.

As if the full weight of everything that's been happening crashed into me, I fell against the wall, my head in my hands, and wept.

He didn't touch me, he didn't comfort me, he didn't hug me. I felt his presence barely a foot away, yet it felt as if he was a continent away as I felt his gaze burn holes into me. The sound of footsteps leaving the foyer indicated his family found somewhere else to be, likely Rhysand would inform his mate and inner circle of my whereabouts and plans.

"Why did you shut me out?" His voice broke, and a part of me did too.

I lifted my head up, looking into the dazzling blue eyes I'd involuntarily fell in love with in such a short period. His jaw trembled slightly, fists clenched at his side, a stubble present on his cheeks and chin, his hair ruffled and dishevelled to reveal the distance I'd caused between us had affected him.

"You're angry." I breathed, dropping my hands as my tears continued spilling down my cheeks, landing on the wooden flooring beneath me.

Kaleb looked away from me, my heart crashing about my rib cage in desperate attempts of a heartbeat. But my world felt like it was tumbling into a pile of ashes, and nothing would ever be okay ever again.

"I'm not angry, Acacia." He whispered, drilling staring off into the distance, his jaw working. "I'm... I'm hurt. You didn't trust me-"

"What? No!" I shouted in shock, reaching my hands out in an attempt to grasp his own, but with a crack of my heart, he took a step back. "I didn't want to put you in danger. I thought I could figure it out on my own, and try and solve it without completely messing everything up-"

Kaleb shook his head, a disbelieving laugh leaving his mouth as his nostrils flared in agitation. "You're selfish, Acacia."

I clenched my jaw, my vision blurring with tears as I froze in place. "Kaleb," I pleaded pathetically.

"Don't." His voice cracked. Turning to look at me once again, his eyes were emotionless and blank.

Taking in a deep breath, I braced a hand against the wall for whatever he was about to say, whatever insult or hurtful phrase he'd throw at me for my actions. But what he did was worse, even if he remained quiet.

He walked away, right out of his own home, slamming the door shut behind him.

Silence ensued, and my chest felt like it was crushing under the weight of the guilt and pain. The chord that tied us together was loose and sagging without an ounce of emotion lining it. No love. No nothing.

I wouldn't let him leave, not like that. I pushed myself from the wall, storming towards the front door, not even realising as a new scent entered the foyer and a hand caught at my wrist.

I whirled, lips pulled back in a silent snarl. But it was Mor who stood there, her face set. "Give him time to cool off."

I pursed my lips, remembering that even if Kaleb was my mate, his auntie Mor has known him longer than me. I nodded, relaxed my body as I sighed and rubbed at my face with my other hand.

Mor let go of my wrist, "will you come and speak to us in the kitchen?"

I didn't answer, instead I followed her to where she lead me in a her simple red dress, just a few shades lighter than my own, her golden hair longer and slightly darker than mine, tumbling down her back in curls.

Entering the kitchen, I hadn't realised the whole inner circle were gathered in different points, all watching me carefully. I made eye contact with Cassian, quickly looking away before fully registering the regret there. I realised I was still barefoot as the cold tiled flooring bit at my toes.

Feyre smiled at me, something glinting in her ocean eyes, "we have a plan."

I flicked my eyebrows up, glancing towards Amren who was lounging on a countertop whilst filing her nails, Azriel beside her with a blank face.

"Helion needs an anti-venom by extracting a large amount of the said venom," Feyre continued on, and I realised it was hope glinting in her eyes. "So, I was thinking-"

"No." I spoke, cutting her off and making her frown, Rhys straightening with a questioning glance.

"No?" Mor asked from beside me, her own puzzlement evident on her features.

"We're going to need a lot of anti-venom to cure the Earth. So you know what that means right?" I asked, pushing my blonde hair behind my shoulders. "We'd have to keep milking Alakai's venom from him regularly on an hourly basis for nobody knows how long. And the only way we can do that is by-"

"Trapping him." Cassian declared, eyes hardening. "We need to contact Helion again, ask him how much venom he's going to need to make a cure. But whilst he figures that out, we're going to have to find a way to imprison Alakai."

I flinched slightly, my nostrils flaring. "I'll help you, but nobody lays a finger on him except me, or unless I tell you to, got it?"

I stared at Cassian then, remembering the fatal blow he almost made to my brother, injuring my instead. Cassian pursed his lips, and I spotted Amren slide off the counter in protest out of the corner of my eye.

"Alright." Rhysand nodded, and I had to contain my shock. "We'll agree to those terms. But you need to agree to our terms, and what we're about to ask you to do next."

I already knew, but I had to ask anyway with a cringe, "and that is?"

Amren grinned, "bait."