•chapter 19•

"There isn't a place in the universe I'd want to be without you

"There isn't a place in the universe I'd want to be without you."

We Were Always More

~

"Acacia!" A warm hand on my cheek had my eyes fluttering open. I was met with lovely blue eyes and slicked back blonde hair.

"Alakai?" My throat was dry and I almost gagged on the feel of my raspy voice box.

He sighed in relief and put a hand to his heart as if he was worried it would hop right out of his chest. "I felt the Earth tremor. The trees began trembling too and I knew something was wrong. Are you okay? What happened?"

I sighed, sitting up and noticing I was in an unfamiliar room and lay on an unfamiliar bed. "Where am I?"

He leaned back and sat down into a small armchair beside me. "In my mind, you're still sleeping in the real world."

I nodded, the whole action hurting my head. "There was a new burst of poison and it- I thought it was going to kill me."

"You're okay." He reassured me, although he said it in a way that seemed as if he needed to reassure himself. "We'll figure it out, I'll help you."

"Why don't you just come to The Night Court? I'm sure I can find you somewhere to live." I urged, sick of having to meet him in our heads.

He sighed sadly and leaned back, "maybe soon, but not right now, I myself am trying to figure out the source of this poison."

There was a pause and then he touched my wrist, eyes shining. "You have to go back now, I'll see you soon, Acacia. Don't give up."

And then I felt as if I was yanked back to reality and I shot up in bed, gasping as I glanced to the side to see I was no longer in Alakai's head and in fact in my bed in Velaris.

Mor jolted awake on the armchair beside my bed, leaning forward quickly with a concerned expression. "Are you okay?"

I nodded slowly, watching as she got up and moved to the doorway, opening the door and shouting; "Guys! Acacia is awake!"

There was loud thudding of steps and I blinked as Kaleb bundled into my room with a dishevelled expression. His stubble had grown out and his eyes looked crazed. "Acacia!"

Suddenly, a horrible feeling dawned on me. "How long was I asleep?"

Kaleb and Mor exchanged glances before Mor replied; "two weeks."