•chapter 38•

"Death is a novelty

"Death is a novelty."

Who are you?

~

Kaleb grasped my wrist before I could follow Azriel, "you don't go alone."

I snarled in his face, "you don't give me orders."

"Acacia," Feyre called, catching my attention briefly as I tried yanking my grip from my mate's, to no avail. "Perhaps it would be best if we came. This female might have intel on your brother, or it might be a trap. Outside of Velaris, you aren't protected the same."

I nodded slightly, "alright. But stay hidden until we figure out what this female wants."

"I'll winnow you-" Kaleb began but I cut him off with a raised hand.

"I'll go with Azriel."

Kaleb growled at that, his own wings flaring slightly as his face contorted into something I'd never seen before. His blue eyes seemed to swirl and darkness curled around his hair strands, "I hope you know what you're doing, Acacia."

I leaned my face towards his, my own front lip pulled back to reveal my pointed canines, "I hope you know that I've been trained to fight, Kaleb."

He let go of my wrist at that, nodding his head towards Azriel in some silent command to protect me. I huffed, but shared a look with the others in the room or farewell.

~

Winnowing just outside of Velaris's wards, I palmed a blade Cassian gave me before my departure, sticking close to Azriel I watched as he scanned the surrounding forest, nostrils flaring.

Leaves crunched and as if instinctively, Azriel unsheathed his own sword, Truth-Teller. I took in the scent that drifted towards me, eyebrows curling together in confusion. Something eerily familiar was about this scent, something-

"Acacia."

My blade clattered from my hand.

My heart paused it's anticipating pounding. Everything seemed to freeze.

That voice.

Turning towards it, I spotted the female who's voice I had indeed heard. Her once dull hair is full of golden life, her once face is now full and tinted with healthy colour.

Her eyes-

Yes, those blue eyes of the female who I barely knew, yet knew more than most.