•chapter 18•

"Why me?"

"Why me?"

The Chaotic Riddle

~

I almost fell to my knees at the revelation. It was an oracle of some sort, but why was it in The Book of Breathings? Child of The High Lord of Spring and Court Jumper... that's me. I'm my father's only child.

"Is there any context?" Kaleb questioned, quickly walking to my side as if sensing I was about to buckle.

Amren shook her head. "This was just on the end page. No heading, no nothing."

"So, this means Acacia is the one that has poisoned the Earth?" Nesta spoke up, her voice firm and unyielding.

The statement made me bite my lip as a hand flew my my mouth. "I would never! It can't be true. Maybe it's about a past child or one in the future."

Nesta raised an eyebrow at me and I never felt so small in my life, "blue eyes, golden blonde hair? You."

"But," Kaleb intervened, "it says she will either destroy or save us all. So perhaps we have this all wrong, perhaps she saves us from this poisoning."

Nesta didn't look convinced, yet said nothing. However, Feyre spoke next. "It says, High Lord of Spring and Court Jumper? What's a Court Jumper?"

"Somebody who disguises themselves to blend in all the Court's to restart their lives there every few lifetimes." Rhysand informed as his eyes narrowed slightly at me as if trying to figure it out.

Lucien paled, "Acacia... your mother was a Court Jumper. The Spring Court was her last stop before she went over the continent."

I almost threw up. An oracle had been written about me thousands of years before my birth and now we'd only just discovered it. But why? I hadn't poisoned the earth, how could it be me?

"It has to be me," I admitted ruefully, "I'm my
parents' only child."

"Screw the riddle!" Kaleb protested. "We all know you didn't poison the Earth, Acacia."

"Do we?" Amren questioned from behind me and I put my head in my hands, preventing myself from crying out.

"Amren." Mor warned.

"We don't really know her that well, do we?"

"That's enough!" Mor scolded, crossing her arms like she was Amren's mother.

"Acacia is Kaleb's mate, Amren, be a bit more respectful." Rhysand said and I wanted to scream out in humiliation.

SO EVERYONE KNEW?

"I haven't accepted the bond." I declared, ignoring Kaleb's stare as I focused on Lucien, praying he'd help me. If anything, Lucien acted like my father for a lot of years and I hope he'd understand my discomfort.

He seemed to understand and dipped his chin, "me and Elain have something to say."

Elain blinked up at him in surprise but a huge smile spread across her lips as Lucien practically shouted, "Elain's pregnant!"

"What!" Nesta barked, although she didn't seem mad.

My mouth dropped to the floor, that is not the distraction I expected. But it worked, their revelation had everyone fussing over them. Feyre nearly in tears, Cassian nudging Nesta to ask when they have kids and him earning a slap in the balls in response. Mor was near screaming in excitement, begging the cauldron to bring her a niece.

Kaleb came up closer to me. "I don't- I don't want to force the bond onto you."

"I know." I sighed and I turned to face him. He was devastatingly handsome, it physically hurt my heart. How could I compare? "I'm just still... coming to terms. You know?"

He nodded, "I understand. Take as much time as you need, Acacia."

I smiled slightly but it lasted only a few moments as a horrific pain shot through my skull and down my spine. It was the worst pain I'd ever felt and I collapsed onto my knees, screaming.

I barely noticed as the ground beneath my feet began tremble as the pain was all I felt, saw and heard. I gripped my hair, pushing myself backwards and slamming into a wall. Everyone's faces were a blur as the ground continued to shake, my stomach churning.

I bent over, vomiting my breakfast onto Amren's wooden floor. I couldn't feel my feet,
or my hands, not as my body began twitching and I panicked. The wind screamed into my ears and I screamed back in agony.

"STOP! MAKE IT STOP!"

"Someone knock her out!" Cassian urged, trying to find the best solution.

I felt Amren slam my head against her floor, but it did nothing and I barely bulked. I heard her muttering curse as I straightened, purposely smashing my own head against the wall as if to ease the pain.

It was blinding and my whole body was on fire. But it just stopped.

It stopped.

I didn't realise I was panting, my nails had dug into my wrists and my body was as pale as a piece of paper. Kaleb ran to my side with concerned eyes, cradling my head that ached. "Acacia, what was that?"

"A fresh pump of poison." I breathed, leaning into Kaleb's scent as I tiredly looked up at The High Lord and Lady, and everyone gathered around me. "A lot of it. It hurt."

"No shit!" Cassian commented, eyes wild, "the Earth shook!"

I breathed deeply, my eyes heavy as I felt sweat drip down m forehead and from my head. Feyre spoke next, "you look terrible. Kaleb, take her back home."

Kaleb nodded and I felt Kaleb's hands snake around my body and lifting me bridal style. The whole feel and scent of him comforted me and I cuddled into his chest, unaware of the conversation around as my body gave up and I passed out.