•chapter 9•

"Nobody wants to be alone

"Nobody wants to be alone."

Unwelcome Reunions and Exposed Secrets

~

My growl was low and I clenched my fists on the table. He stared back at me, eyes wide and face pale as he leaned against the doorway.

I forgot Lucien now lived in The Night Court, our meeting was inevitable, yet I couldn't help the natural reaction of hurt that flashed across my features.

"Acacia-" He choked and everyone looked between us in confusion.

"You know each other?" Feyre blurted, frowning.

I bared my canines at Lucien, "of course we do. Lucien was practically my uncle, until he stopped visiting The Spring Court five years ago."

Recognition passed through Rhysand's eyes and he whirled on Lucien. "You knew about her and didn't tell us?"

Lucien couldn't look away from me, his metal eye twitching. "I took an Oath to Tamlin that I wouldn't tell a soul."

A bit of hurt flashed in Elain's eyes, however I ignored everyone else as I stood. "You abandoned us, even when you saw me struggling with looking after my father."

"Acacia, it's not like that." He shook his head, sharing a quick look with Elain as his face turned into pain.

I clenched my jaw, breathing heavily. "I knew you were living in The Night Court, but you just stopped seeing us. It broke my father even more."

"I had no choice, I had to stay home." Lucien furrowed his brows in guilt and I briefly noticed Nesta and Feyre's tight expressions. They knew something. Something the others didn't as they looked just as confused.

"Why?" I snarled, anger building up inside me at seeing the male who had raised me as a child when my father couldn't.

"Because-" He cut himself off, glancing at the back of Elain's head and biting his lip in nervousness. "I can't-"

"I don't want some half assed excuse, Lucien. I want a proper answer. You owe me that." My voice cracked and I looked away from him, my eyes sub-consciously moving to meet Kaleb's.

"I miscarried our child." Elain's voice was quiet but loud enough we all heard her statement. Everyone looked shocked, Mor gasping, however Feyre and Nesta didn't seem surprised at all at the revelation. "I got... distant. Lucien stayed here to look after me."

Miscarriage.

The word hit me hard, a strangled breath escaped my throat and I looked at Elain's saddened face. "I'm really sorry, Elain."

She shook her head, dismissing my apology. However I looked at Lucien's pained face and my own crumpled as I watched him sit beside his mate, giving her a side hug to comfort her.

"Let's not let this ruin our meal." Elain shot Amren an apologetic look as she said it, as this meal was for the purpose of Amren announcing her and Varian's engagement.

Amren's eyes weren't completely hard for once and she looked at Elain for a long while, studying her and the happy expression on her face she'd slapped on for show.

I lowered into my seat, wanting to cover my face with embarrassment and shame at practically making Elain reveal this information to her family. There was nothing hateful on her face as she gave me a kind glance, her eyes giving me a look that suggested not to blame myself.

I made a mental note to sincerely apologise to Elain after the meal, however I remained ignoring Lucien's expression.

The meal continued on, everyone quickly changing the topic and making light of the dinner. Elain was her happy self, pushing the new information deep down as she joined in on the conversations. Lucien was quiet, glancing at me occasionally.

I caught Kaleb's eye as he turned to look at me, something unreadable in his expression. However, he smiled, and I felt the corners of my lips tug up as if on instinct, completely forgetting everyone else around me.

"Cool." Varian murmured and I blinked, suddenly realising that the room was quiet and everyone was looking at me.

My cheeks flushed and I frowned, wondering what I'd done, but realisation set in as I felt a tingling sensation on the back of my neck. I sighed and rolled my eyes, "go back to sleep."

The plants that had seeped in through the open windows, sensing my happiness and wanting to join in, sunk back outside. A pretty rose whisked past my cheek before leaving, as if giving me a parting gift.

"Sorry about that," I apologised, turning redder by the second at Kaleb's awed gaze. "They have a mind of their own."

I spotted Elain's beaming smile and decided I'd personally send her a little gift from my flowers later, as an apology for my behaviour. I met Lucien's eyes, well eye and a half, and I wasn't surprised when a familiar look passed over his face, I knew immediately what he was thinking.

"When I was younger," I started, pursing my lips, "Lucien used to take me to this lake by my father's manor, it had hundreds of different flowers and plants there. As soon as I stepped beside the lake, they all reached up and wove around me like they were giving me one big hug."

Lucein's small smile made one of my own appear as I looked down whilst he spoke next. "It startled me so much I dropped our picnic basket."

I snorted, remembering what a fuss he'd caused when the contents of our feast had spilled onto the ground.

"But then her flowers lifted them up, offering them back to me." Lucien shook his head, as if he still can't believe it. "It's nothing like I've seen before, and it certainly was surprising. When Acacia is near nature, they seem to... respond to her."

I nodded, his brief explanation was pretty accurate. Sometimes, the plants would move towards me without me willing it to, almost like my very presence brought them life. Everyone's eyes seemed to twinkle at what Lucien said and I noticed Kaleb grinning at me.

"Well, I'm gonna start calling you a tree sha-" Before he could reply, Feyre shot him a pointed glare and flared her nostrils.

Rhysand snorted, "just like Kaleb to ruin a lovely moment."

Kaleb frowned, "first of all, dad, I'm not the one who fell flat on his face when Amren announced her engagement last night!"

Feyre pursed her lips, Mor and Cassian started howling and Amren grinned like a cat. Rhysand stuck his tongue to the inside of his cheek, a wild glint in his eyes. "Well, at least I didn't release Bryaxis when I-"

"Boys." Feyre shot them both looks and they dutifully shut up, but I couldn't help a laugh that escaped my lips.