•chapter 17•

"You made me feel sober, not intoxicated, and that's what I needed

"You made me feel sober, not intoxicated, and that's what I needed."

Coming to Terms and Forest Talks

~

Everyday I was out of Velaris and up into the forests and mountain ranges, trying to get a better touch with nature and figure everything out. I hadn't seen Kaleb for two days, despite his effort to talk to me.

It had been an emotional rollercoaster for me to ignore him, but I allowed myself to do so as I needed time to process what he told me. Was I ready? Probably not. Did I love Kaleb? I don't know.

I was walking through a quiet forest just outside of Velaris, kicking around rocks as my mind was distracted with my mate. I felt selfish, nature was counting on me and I was distracted by some Fae male. I scoffed at myself and booted a rock as hard as I could.

It sailed the air and I blinked as I watched as familiar figure catch it with a grin. "Really, Acacia?"

Despite myself, I actually smiled. Alakai was dressed casually as he strode towards me, and I paused. The forest looked familiar as I entered it and now I know why, this is the forest Alakai had been bringing me in my mind. But... I was here now... that meant-

"You're real?" I asked, allowing him to walk closer towards me as he fiddled with the rock.

He snorted, "very. I've been keeping an eye on you as you wandered around here, you never know what nastiness lurks around."

He sounded as if he was my father and I rolled my eyes. "I can take care of myself."

"I don't doubt that." He grinned wider. "Care for some company?"

I nodded, deciding I could probably do with talking to someone. I need to express my worries to somebody and Alakai seemed like the perfect person, so I walked beside him cautiously.

"I found something out the other day." I admitted, looking at the dried grass beneath my boots.

"Hmm?" He hummed, waiting for me to go on as he kept a respectful distance between the two of us.

"Kaleb, you know him, right? Child of Night, kinda." I explained, rambling from my nerves.

He glanced sidelong at me. "I'm vaguely familiar with The High Lord and Lady's son, never met him though."

"So... he's my mate."

I didn't expect much of a reaction from him but he stopped cold and his eyes widened. "What?"

He didn't seem angry, just shocked. "Yeah, I know." I put a hand on the back of my neck in embarrassment.

He giggled slightly to himself and the sound reminded me of someone I couldn't put my finger on. "So, a Child of Spring is mates with a Child of Night. Interesting."

I cringed at the 'Child of Spring' part but said nothing. Instead, it reminded me of something I didn't know about Alakai, so I questioned him. "Alakai, what Court do you come from?"

He thought for a moment, giving me a look that was unreadable as we continued walking. "The Spring Court."

So that's where I recognised him from! "Ah! I thought I recognised you! Do you come from the villages?"

He paused but nodded convincingly, "yeah, I don't really live there anymore, I'm kind of a traveller."

I envied him, I'd always wanted to travel, but my father rarely allowed me to even visit the villages in our Court. "Why did you decide to leave?"

He sighed sadly, revisiting a memory I felt guilty about resurfacing. "My... my mother died and I didn't have much left for me, so I decided to go and experience the Courts the way my mother did."

My heart hurt as I muttered, "I'm sorry. I lost my mother too."

He glanced at me as we walked, "you look like her."

That made me pause completely. "Huh?"

His eyes twitched but he smiled, "yeah, I met her once when she visited the villages as Tamlin's escort."

I envied him just for that. I never even met my mother as a grown female, so Alakai must be older than me. "What was she like?"

I realised my question must've sounded pathetic as he gave me a sad smile. "She was radiant. She smiled at everything, laughed at anything. She was like a walking sun. The most caring female I'd ever met."

He made her seem like an angel and I appreciated it, so I smiled. "Why do you visit me?"

"You-" He paused, but smiled wide as he stopped walking and turned to face me. "You remind me of home."

My heart hurt for him and I felt an urge to embrace him and tell him things will be okay. However, I heard a clap of thunder from behind me and spun around to see Azriel shooting from the sky, landing directly in front of me with an cautious expression.

"Was you speaking to someone?" He asked and I frowned, turning to see Alakai was no longer with me. I frowned further, noting he must've took off when he saw Azriel approach.

"No." I shook my head, walking towards him. He didn't look like he believed me but luckily he didn't push. "What's wrong?"

"Amren might have a lead."

My heart fluttered and I allowed him to carry me to Amren's apartment where everyone was standing. Cassian, Nesta, Elain, Lucien, Feyre, Rhys, Mor, Amren and... Kaleb.

I avoided looking at him and I ignored the looks everyone else was giving me, oh they totally knew. I walked over to Amren as she held The Book of Breathings in one hand.

"What is it?" I asked Amren, hopeful.

She gave me a tired look as she put The Book of Breathings on her coffee table. "There's a riddle at the back of the book I've ignored all this time. However, I reread it earlier and it... well, listen for yourself."

"A Spawn of The High Lord of Spring and a Court Jumper will be the Earth's undoing,

Only can they correct their decision,

Which may lead to death and ruin,

Nothing will be the same for the child who will bring a never ending blood rain,

Blue eyes,

Golden blonde hair,

Their path shall destroy or save all."