•chapter 29•

"We are children, we're not warriors

"We are children, we're not warriors."

Revelations

~

Alakai stilled.

"What?" I blurted, spinning on my heel to face the silver eyed female. "What did you just say?"

"You told us that your brother has a venom that slowly killed your mother. He is stood claiming that this entire world is disgusting, and you are the only 'good' one. Despite this situation we're in, he's certain nothing will happen to you, and he's refusing to tell you the information he has."

The pieces in my mind started slowly coming together. Everything Alakai said- how similar my mother's death is to the worlds'- How he seemed relieved when he knew the dying world wasn't affecting me-

"Alakai is the one killing the world." Amren concluded.

Everyone went on alert, but tears rimmed my eyes as I spun to face my brother. He looked at me, his face expressionless as he spoke, "she sure is perceptive."

It was like a slap to the face, I stepped back. "You- you're the one killing the world? How- why-"

I felt Kaleb grip my forearm gently, pushing me behind his body as if my brother would attack. Alakai ignored him, instead, he stared at me. "For years I've been gathering my venom, slowly enticing it out of me, until I had enough to start my attack on the world inconspicuously. I'm doing it to wipe out all creatures, and start this world anew. Me and you, we can rule the new age, we can create this era together-"

I took a step back, staring into his wild eyes, "you're crazy-"

"So what if I am?" His emerald eyes darkened, "I'll never let anything happen to you. You're the Queen this world needs."

Rhysand growled, darkness swirling at his feet. "You're deluded, Alakai."

Alakai's head tilted, pure predatory and nothing of that person I'd come to somehow know. "Am I? Or am I doing what's best for our world?"

There was a roaring in my ears, in my blood, and I could barely breathe as I gripped Kaleb's arm. My mate was snarling, rage overcoming his features as darkness similar to his father's roiled over his shoulders.

Movement caught my eye and I saw Azriel unsheathing Truth-Teller, instinctively I froze and a small growl rippled in my chest. "Don't."

Azriel barely glanced at me as Cassian also unsheathed his own blade, awaiting their leaders' orders on the enemy. But there was a primal part of me awakening as I watched the threat posed to my brother, despite everything he'd done.