•chapter 14•

"Choose your own family if your blood lets you down

"Choose your own family if your blood lets you down."

Lethal Arguments and World Crisis'

~

I'd seen my father angry, murderous even, but the rage that shimmered from his body and coated his features had my hands shaking. I clenched my teeth tight as he marched loudly and dramatically inside, heading towards a spare chair left for him.

He didn't glance at me, but he definitely knew I was there. It almost made him worse, made it really set in how he didn't love me. He didn't even care, couldn't even deign to look at me.

He looked mildly healthy, more muscle on his bones and his face was fuller. I couldn't help the spark of relief that went through me at the sight of it, but had I been the one holding him back? That's why he got on so well without me? I shook the selfish thoughts from my mind, there was no use thinking that way it would only make me feel worse.

As if sensing my discomfort, Azriel sent me a sidelong glance. Cassian either sensed my emotion or saw my pale face and patted my knee, a silent reassurance that no matter what; the Night Court would have my back.

My father sat down and his eyes slid over everybody, finally settling on me. His green eyes were foreign, despite how familiar, and there was nothing of the father I grew up with and loved all my life in that face. It was only a cruel beast.

"Why have you called this meeting, Tarquin?" My father's voice was darker and deeper than I remembered, a terrifying edge to it.

I hadn't realised everyone had been staring at our interaction until all heads turned to Tarquin in silent question, waiting for his response. The High Lord of Summer leaned his elbows on the table, as if preparing to drop something that would knock us off our feet.

"Something is seriously wrong." He said after a long while, sharing a sideways glance at Cresseida who sat at his side.

"Go on." Kallias quietly urged, his eyes sparkling with a coldness that wasn't mean but actually kind.

"The farmers and the tenders of the land have reported to me that there is a problem with their plants. Flowers are wilting, grass is turning yellow, trees are shrivelling..." He trailed off, staring each and every one of us down to make sure we had it drilled into our heads.

Rhysand didn't shift but I glanced towards his face. He subtly gave me a look that said; we won't expose your secret if you don't wish it. But I had to say something, as I could be the one person who could detect the problem. I gave Rhysand a mere chin dip, noticing my father watching us with dark eyes.