•chapter 23•

"You stole my air, and then asked why I couldn't breathe

"You stole my air, and then asked why I couldn't breathe."

This Changes Everything

~

My entire world had tilted and stopped, and I began shaking so hard my hands fell from his. Before I could question him, he reached out a hand, touching my cheek slightly, and then I felt my eyes involuntary close.

Gasping, I reopened my eyes, and I was back in Velaris, The Inner Circle watching me with questioning faces. The breath had been sucked from my lungs and everything was going in slow motion.

Brother?

Alakai was my brother?

I screamed out in my mind. COME BACK! TALK TO ME! But he wasn't answering me. So many questions whirled around in my mind to the point I felt dizzy.

"Acacia." Kaleb's deep voice drifted into my ears and I turned my head, his face coming into my line of sight. "What did he say?"

I couldn't say the words, didn't dare utter them to anybody. Was this some sort of sick joke? Cruel and horrid joke? I needed to speak to my father, I needed answers.

Alakai was the one destroying the earth?

That doesn't make sense.

He doesn't have blue eyes.

What's going on?

"I- I can't." I breathed out, shaking my head. The sudden memories of the last thing my mother said to me drifted into my mind. "I need to speak to my father."

"Tell us what the boy said first." Amren ordered, but my ears were ringing and my stomach was churning.

"Why do you need to see Tamlin?" Cassian questioned, but I didn't answer him either.

"Kaleb, help me." Acacia pleaded, blue orbs meeting his own brighter ones. He didn't hesitate, nor did he ask for permission as he nodded and stood, clasping my hand in his.

"We'll be back." Kaleb confirmed, moving past his family who continued to throw questions back and forth, but all sounds were blocked out as I narrowed in on the feel of his hand in mine.

I really understood it then, as if it had fully awoken inside of me, tightening and clenching. The mating bond. I could feel it, as if our every interaction was making it stronger.