•chapter 20•

"You are a force greater than the world itself

"You are a force greater than the world itself."

Reality Check

~

There wasn't much anyone could say as a form of comfort, even Mor couldn't form proper sentences. Shock was what everybody felt as I told them what my father said, even Rhysand looked inclined to offer the male his respect.

"The Night Court is your home, Acacia," Feyre said at the dining table, offering me a warm smile, "if you want it to be."

I sent her a smile of my own, "I suppose it's not that bad here."

Cassian laughed and even Azriel had on a ghost of a smile. Kaleb, on my side, sent me a reassuring gaze as Mor, on my other side, pat my back in amusement.

"There is an apartment close to my apartment complex that is for sale." Amren informed us, eating her food very slowly.

Rhysand looked at me, "you wouldn't have to pay for anything, Acacia. I can work on getting the apartment."

I nodded, my cheeks blushing at all the kind words everyone was saying. I didn't deserve their thoughtfulness, but they offered it anyway. "Thank you."

Feyre waved me off as she sipped on her wine, "you're family."

The words hit me harder than I would've like and I closed my eyes, opening them again and turning to look at Kaleb's extravagant face. It would be an honour to be his mate, and it would be even more of one to fall in love with him, but I couldn't- not until I figured out what's going on with the Earth.

As everyone began chatting I began thinking about Alakai. Now that The Night Court considered me family, should I tell them about my secret meetings with Alakai? I was conflicted and I shared a look with Kaleb, as if he knew what I was thinking.

I felt him knock against my mental shields and I lowered a window for him to slip in. I felt his smooth, midnight voice inside of my head; thinking about that guy you saw?

Yes, do you think I should tell your parents?

I saw the conflict pass over his face as he replied; it's up to you. I'll keep the secret if you want me to.

I sent him a grateful smile as I adjusted the knife and fork in my hand. I turned in as Amren began speaking, "about that riddle. If it is about you, Acacia, could you of possible done something without realising?"

I shook my head, "it just doesn't make sense. I'm my parents' only child, but I haven't poisoned the Earth."

Everybody was silent before Azriel spoke, "how do you know that you're their only child?

I thought for a moment. My father never mentioned having any other children, especially not with my mother. However I knew that they were together a long while before they eventually had me, could that possibly of been enough time to sire another child?

"My father never mentioned anything." I muttered, suddenly aware that I might have a secret sibling. "But that doesn't make sense. Why would they just be kept secret?"

"If it's a sibling of yours that has poisoned the Earth, then perhaps they don't have good intentions and your father wanted to shelter them from you." Rhysand explained and I sighed.

"Don't stress about it now. Let's just have a good dinner." Feyre insisted, sending me a thoughtful smile as if her own mind was occupied.

"What have the other Courts said?" Amren spoke, practically ignoring Feyre.

Rhysand sent his second a look, "like my mate said, Amren, let's just have a good dinner before we get into it."

Amren gave Rhys a blank stare before returning to her food.

~

After the meal, Kaleb offered to take me for a walk to the Sidra. I didn't hesitate, despite our rocky relationship at the moment, perhaps this would clear the air and tension surrounding us.

We walked side by side, my arm looped through his casually. My mind raced with the thoughts of my father, but I tried forgetting about the incident as I concentrated on Kaleb's small talk about the city.

"My mom owns this art gallery thing where she allows kids to come and paint, something about their past trauma." Kaleb shrugged, but pointed to a high story building beside a large art gallery.

"That's sweet." I muttered, still wondering how I ever thought Feyre was a demon incarnated.

We wandered along the Sidra and I peeked over at the flowing waters, watching some boats pass by with laughing Fae on them. Something about it was so calming, even if I could faintly make out the dark undertone of the water from the poison that was almost undetectable.

"Acacia-" Kaleb began, as if ready to have a deep conversation but his voice was cut off as something washed over me and my senses went on high alert.

I spun around, facing an unknown direction as my eyes narrowed down on a figure running towards me. I backed towards the fence, looking at Kaleb with wide eyes as he glanced at me in confusion. I turned back towards the figure and the person was closer, but I recognised them instantly.

Alakai.

I didn't have time to even say his name, Kaleb yelled as Alakai barrelled into me, eyes wide, and we both fell together into the Sidra.

I remember screaming and feeling the salt water flood into my lungs.