•chapter 7•

"Perhaps being here with you is where I'm really supposed to be

"Perhaps being here with you is where I'm really supposed to be."

Bright Eyes and Vibrant Souls

~

Once Kaleb took me on a tour of the city, I was left breathless. I'd never seen something so wonderful and mesmerising. All the people greeted him with warm smiles and kind handshakes, even giving me a welcoming look that caught me off guard.

We'd arrived to the street his home was on, his arm locked through mine feel light as I realised how close it made us in proximity. His arms were strong and he guided me around with ease.

We sat down on a bench, close enough to talk but far enough out of respect. He turned towards me and I ignored his bright eyes that tried to catch mine.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked softly, his voice kinder than I'd ever heard.

I didn't answer, instead my thoughts of my father clouded my mind and judgement. If Rhysand had gone to speak to him, then my father must know I'm at The Night Court. His anger at the revelation would of probably of made our manor explode, although he might not even care.

"Do you want to know what I think?" He asked.

"Not really."

He grinned, but then it faltered as he turned serious again. "I think your father wanted something better for you, wanted you to go and live, that's why he said what he said."

I shook my head, "why would he care whether I live if he doesn't love me?"

Kaleb snorted and I shot him a sharp look. "Of course he loves you, anybody can see that. It's because he loves you that he kicked you out."

I blinked, cocking my head. "What do you mean?"

"It's because he loves you that he wanted you to leave and make a life for yourself. He didn't want to plague your life any longer, make you look after him for the rest of his miserable life. So he told you a lie to give you a shot at finding yourself." The words hit me harder than I'd like to admit and I sucked in a breath as I turned towards him.

"How old are you?" I breathed.

He shrugged, "twenty six."

My eyes widened, I felt slightly like an old lady now sat beside him. I was still young in Fae terms but older than Kaleb.

"I'm- uh- fifty five." I smiled sheepishly, his eyes widened a fraction.

"No way!" He laughed, slapping his knees as he bounced his legs. I pursed my lips at his amusement.