•chapter 8•

"A dreamer should never be trapped in a nightmare

"A dreamer should never be trapped in a nightmare."

New Revelations and Healing Hearts

~

Three days had passed since I'd come to Velaris, and I felt a heavy weight lift from my shoulders. Despite my mind still being occupied with my father, wondering if he was alright, I was slowly returning to my usually bubbly self as I was surrounded by people who genuinely cared.

Azriel had gone out of his way to check on my father every day, remaining in the shadows so my father wouldn't spot him, but still watching nonetheless. He reported back to me that my father seemed to be sad, hadn't bathed and had lost a small amount of weight; however he was still eating.

I wondered whether I should visit him, go home. But he made it very clear he didn't want me there, whether what Kaleb said about him doing it for my own good was correct. I couldn't face him, not yet.

"Hurry up!" A banging on my door had me jumping, a small grin forming on my lips.

In the past three days I'd been getting to know everyone, and my guilt seemed to settle. There was no hate, no resentment, nothing but positivity.

Kaleb and I had spent a bit of time together, as our ages were more similar. Mor had been nothing but wonderful, breezing in and offering to take me to a place in Velaris called the Sidra, the day out had lifted my mood drastically. Azriel was still quiet and distant, but apparently he was always like that. Cassian, I realised, was a sarcastic warrior brute who never held back when tormenting my life and Amren spoke here and there, which apparently was also usual for her.

I'd been introduced to Feyre's sisters, Nesta and Elain. Elain had been elated when she knew of my power, begging me to help her tend to her plants in the garden of the home. Nesta was cold, eyes hard, however she was visibly like that with everyone, even her mate Cassian. Feyre and Rhysand were also being nice, however they were regularly away with their duties as High Lord and Lady.

"I will come in there and drag you out by your ankles!" Cassian yelled, banging my bedroom door again, enticing a roll of the eyes from me.

"Patience, she is a female after all, they love taking their time getting ready." Azriel's smooth voice then spoke from behind my door.

I scoffed, marching over to the door and throwing it open, glaring at the two males who stood there and dressed in their finery. They both looked me up and down, Cassian giving me a wiggle of the eyebrows and a thumbs up and Azriel nodding in approval.

"It's a dinner, not a god damn wedding, hurry-" Kaleb's voice drawled as he stormed down the hallway, stopping in his tracks as his eyes racked over my body.

I was wearing a very simple, silk dress in a light beige/pink. The top part was a thin strap on each shoulder, holding up two crossing over satin breast parts that dipped into a slight v-neck, revealing a bit of my cleavage. Around my waist was a band of the same material and colour, separated the skirts and top, yet not suffocating me as it hugged my curves. The bottom was a simple swaying skirt, the soft material gentle on my legs.

My blonde hair was curled, reaching just above my hips, and the front sides were pulled back in braids to reveal more of my face. Large, silver earrings adorned my lobes, falling down like a glittery star fall as the diamonds brushed my shoulders.

Kaleb's jaw slackened and I tried not to blush as he moved closer towards me, Cassian and Azriel parted to allow him to get to me. I bit my lip as he drank me in, reaching to take my hand in his.

His eyes were glassy as he looked into mine, "you look perfect, Acacia."

It was so heartfelt it had a blush creeping up and staining my cheekbones and nose, the tips of my pointed ears also turning red. I looked down, admiring him myself as I took in his beautiful, navy tunic that had silver embroidery adorning his shoulders. His muscles popped in his tunic, his body towering over mine completely and sucking me in at the pure enormousness of him.

"Something's missing." His lip twitched to the side and he clicked his fingers, something appearing in his hand a second later.

It was a silver diadem, diamond jewels looking like stars glittered around the headpiece, vines and small silver flowers giving it a familiar Spring Court feel. However the crystal stars reminded me of The Night Court and I was breathless.

He slowly reached out, placing it on top of my head, perfectly fitting on comfortably. He gestured to the mirror in my room and I turned to look at myself.

My mouth curved upwards, it made me look extravagant and a part of me felt as though I wasn't worthy to wear something so beautiful.

"Where did you get it?" I was breathlessly and blinking as I just noticed Cassian and Azriel had slipped away at some point.

Kaleb reached for my hand again, pulling me from my room as we walked slowly down the hallway, my heeled slippers clicking against the wooden floorboards. "I had it made for you, consider it a welcome gift to Velaris."

I whipped my head towards him, staring at the side of his elegant face that focused on ahead as we approached the stairs. "I- I don't know what to say. Thank you."

Why he got it for me, I didn't know. But it was too beautiful to turn down, despite how expensive it probably was.

Something inside me shifted and I felt as if something was blooming, a vine growing and twining together. I blinked, turning towards the stairs and looking away from the exquisite male beside me.

We were still hand in hand, his palms warming mine as we descended the stairs. I spotted Elain rushing into the dining room, not even noticing us as Nuala and Cerridwen simpered behind her with bowls and plates of extravagant looking food.

We stood in the dining room doorway, everyone's eyes turning to look towards us and I tried not to bite my lip. I spotted Rhysand and Feyre's eyes slip upwards and to my diadem, shock passing over their gazes and their heads whirled to Kaleb, who only grinned.

"You look absolutely gorgeous!" Mor called out, beckoning me over to go and sit between her and Cassian.

As I let go of Kaleb's hand, I for some reason felt disappointed, and I watched as he took a place opposite me. I lowered down into my chair, glancing around at all the people in the room. There was an empty chair however and I looked towards it, Elain sat beside it.

"Lucien is just finishing washing up." Elain informed us and I froze at the name.

Lucien.

And as that red-haired male slipped into the room, freezing as he spotted me, I couldn't stop the growl that left my lips.