•chapter 44•

"Changed she may be, but for the better is what I see

"Changed she may be, but for the better is what I see."

Prepare For War

~

"This doesn't bode well, Rhys." Cassian enquired as him and his High Lord stood on the roof of the townhouse in Velaris.

Rhys nodded absently, not even turning to look at his General. He kept repeating in his mind what Kaia had said, about the power that both Acacia and Alakai held, how if it came down to it, Alakai could probably kill his son. Rhys hadn't felt this feeling in a long time, this feeling of war.

~

Kaia was waiting for him, she knew his arrival would be soon. They'd spent the past couple of days strategising, ready for the encounter they'd have with him. Ready to capture him, and potentially Acacia too. She couldn't help the feeling in her gut, however, as if she knew it wouldn't go according to plan.

The news arrived after two days, and Kaia clenched her teeth together as Rhysand spoke to them all.

"Acacia and Alakai have taken up residence in The Spring Court. They have killed any sentries, and shooed off any remaining villagers." The news hit Tamlin like a tree, and he slumped in his chair, eyes closing. "Their wards around their borders are practically impenetrable."

"Still so sure your son will come for you?" Kaleb remarked towards Kaia, who didn't even look towards him as she replied.

"He'll come. They both will. Now they've established a territory, he'll want to see if I'm actually alive before they build whatever empire they were planning on." She responded, looking at Rhys with hard eyes.

Feyre shifted on her feet slightly, Amren's nose was curled up subtly. Cassian moved his wings tighter behind his back, Azriel was nowhere to be seen - likely trying to break through whatever wards were set around The Spring Court - Nesta was stood beside Elain with a firm face, the younger sister was holding her slight pregnancy bump protectively, Lucien stood on her other side as he squared their shoulders. Mor didn't move, but she did give a side glance towards her High Lord and Lady.

They all knew one thing, in that moment.

A battle was soon to come.

~

Acacia's heels clicked against the floorboards as she walked into the dining room, spying Alakai sat at the head of the table, where their father used to sit. Her shimmering, golden dress followed behind her, the flowers in pots in the room instantly turning towards her direction and bowing forwards, as if acknowledging their queen.

Alakai could feel her power rumble with every step, could feel it radiate off her in waves. Her face was almost becoming unrecognisable with the hunger for power, a wide grin spread across the lips that used to only hold gentle smiles.

"I'm sick of waiting around, big brother." She drawled, even her voice had changed. It was somehow darker, more manipulative with an edge of of taunting lingering in her words.

Alakai looked up from a blueprint he was looking at, "soon, Ace. We can't go storming in there all headstrong. If mother is truly alive, as you say, I want to see for myself. But they'd be not doubt expecting me, so we need to form a plan."

A vine wrapped around the chair at the opposite side of the dining table, and pulled it outwards, allowing Acacia to take a seat. Her eyes were shadowed as they watched him, "you know I will have your back."

He smiled slightly, eyes softening for barely a moment, "of course. But they are all powerful Fae in The Night Court."

Acacia waved her hand nonchalantly, rings glittering at every finger, "perhaps, but I know their biggest weakness."

Alakai leaned forward slightly, raising an eyebrow for her to elaborate.

She sat back in her chair, smiling wickedly as she examined her nails that were painted a glittering white. "Each other."

"Each other?" Alakai questioned, wanting her to expand even more.

"Yes, brother. The Inner Circle's biggest weakness amongst themselves is each other. It's family. And I know a way that we can exploit that."

They both grinned.

~

A/N: Hi guys! Thank you for being patient. This is a very short chapter just to get me back in the swing of things with this book. As promised I just wanted to get back on my feet and then carry on with this book. Thank you for all the kind comments, I assure you I am well<3

This book shall be finishing very soon, but don't worry I am already in the works of the second book👀

Stay safe <3