•chapter 21•

"war doesn't make heroes, they make killers

"war doesn't make heroes, they make killers."

Secret Friendships

~

I fought against the strong current of the Sidra, feeling the poison, as well as the water, flush into my body as I screamed underwater.

Strong hands grabbed my shoulders and Alaska I was staring at me, wide eyed, as we barrelled down the stream. I felt him tug me to the side, as if moving me, but whatever he tried was too late as my back slammed into something and I spun backwards.

My body slammed and smashed against the Sidra floor as I continued summersaulting through the hazy waters edged with poison.

Whilst in a panicked state, I hadn't realised my mental shields had weakened and I felt an unknown force push through into my mind and flick through my memories as if they were pages of a book. I screamed out again, thrashing and fighting whoever took this opportunity to dissect my brain.

I spun to try and find Alakai but he was nowhere in sight. My body was overpowered with adrenaline and fear as I tried to fight my way to the surface, the corners of my eyes darkening and unconsciousness threatening to take over from lack of oxygen.

But a force gripped me in the water and I was suddenly hauled up and up, as if the water itself was pulling me to the surface, and I was thrown over the barrier and onto the streets of Velaris.

"Acacia! Can you hear me?" Feyre's voice filtered through my blocked ears and I squinted my eyes open, feeling the ache of my body from the beating it just endured.

I felt my body rejecting the water in my lungs and I began coughing, the sting and burn of the water leaving my body up through my mouth was horrific. I was slanted to the side, spotting Kaleb in my peripheral vision as the water kept coming out.

"What happened?" Rhysand asked, although I couldn't see him.

"I don't know. Some maniac ran into her and they fell over the barriers and into the Sidra, he was too quick." Kaleb also sounded panicked.

"Where is he?" My voice was hoarse and it was painful to speak, but I pushed my wet hair from my face as I looked up at the family of three that surrounded me.

"Who? The guy who pushed you in?" Feyre was bent beside me, a hand on my back.

I suddenly felt the intruder of my mind leave and my mental shields snapped up into place, giving me a severe headache. Who was it? And why did Alakai do that?

"It was him, wasn't it." Kaleb said, eyes boring into mine with such ferocity. Alakai.

"Who?" Rhysand urged, glancing between us as if he could figure it out himself.

"He's not an enemy." I stated, allowing Feyre to help me stand as I rung out my wet hair.

His jaw visibly clenched, "then why did he do that?"

"I don't know." I muttered, defeated. Why did he do that? "Somebody got into my head when I fell in."

Everyone shared a look, "why?" Kaleb asked, eyes unreadable.

"I don't know. Whoever it was looked through my memories, as if trying to find something." I sighed, shaking my head in confusion. "I don't know what's going on."

"Was it him?" Kaleb questioned again, referring to Alakai.

"Wait a minute- who's him?" Feyre interrupted, holding her hands out with a puzzled expression.

Me and Kaleb shared a look and I sighed again, "his name is Alakai. We're friends, but he doesn't live in Velaris. He visits me through my mind."

"Why would he do that?" Rhysand asked and I shrugged.

"I have no idea." I paused. "But he already has access to my mind, so he wasn't the one searching through my memories as he wouldn't need to break down my mental shields."

And then I thought.

How does he have access to my mind?

Wait.

If Alakai was from my court, he could of possibly met the first sire of my parents.

"He might know the answers we've been searching for." I absently spoke, sharing a blank look with Kaleb who narrowed his eyes at me.

"What do you mean?" Rhysand questioned, completely bewildered by the whole situation.

"Alakai met my mother and father, he might know their first sire."