01 - senior year

The halls were the same, but I looked at them in a different perspective. I guess it didn't really matter though. Yes, this was my senior year but I was at the bottom still. I had seniority over others at school, but the cliques, I felt, had seniority over me. 

I wasn't particularly sure on how I felt about this up coming year. I was glad to almost be done with school, but I still had a long nine-or-so months to go before I was free to embark on my own adventure.

I had gotten my schedule earlier this morning and I was going to meet up with Steven. I hadn't seen him in over a month because he was in Cancun with his family. He said he didn't want to go, but I knew he was lying. He's always wanted to go to another county. He's just in to that kind of thing.

I saw him leaning up against my locker. They were the newly fresh painted once so they were the nice dark blue color that clashed with our school colors. That's what always confused me; they paint the lockers blue, but our colors are green and gold. Why not paint the lockers Gold? We would look like a million bucks.

I walked up to Steven who had the usual smirk on his face. He looked tanner than the last time I saw him.

"Got some color on you huh?" I tapped his cheek.

"I guess" He huffed.

"Not excited to see me?" I pouted.

"Not excited to be here." He corrected me.

"How was your summer?" I giggled.

"It was great. I wish you could have come to Cancun with us. It was dreadful." Steven rolled his eyes. He always had that kind of attitude with people. He never hid his feelings about something.

"What happened?" I asked.

"My parents would not stop talking about me being Gay. They kept asking me if it was something i'm sure about. They kept asking me if it was 'Just a faze I was going through'" He threw up air quotes. "They want me so badly to be straight and it's obviously not going to happen."

"Aw, i'm sorry Steven. Your parents have always been crazy." I assured him and rubbed the side of his arm.

That really was the case though. Steven's family came from deep Catholic roots, and then converted to Christianity. Steven believed in "All that junk" as he called it, but the church kindly told him in a "Christ-like manner" that he was no longer aloud to come back to church. For he had not been upholding the standers. To me that was utter bullshit, but Steven didn't mind. He always felt like he didn't belong there anyways. His parents were extremely unhappy but they did try to support his decisions. What could they do? He was apart of a strong Mexican family that had strong beliefs. His family comes from Catholics but his grandparents apparently converted and raised his mother in the Christian church. He told me religion wasn't really his thing anyways so he didn't mind it.

"It's alright. What did you do while I was gone?" He asked.

"Nothing" I shrugged. He mouthed the exact word as soon as I said it.

"Ester Murphy!" He called out my name "When are you going to get a life. Get out there and make some other friends. One day, although I would like to, I won't be there for you." 

"I know" I sighed not having any excuse for him. The bell rang before any further conversation could go on and we parted ways.

I walked into my first class: Math. The teacher was exceptionally weird. She went on for a good twenty minutes talking about how she had to have surgery on her eyes because she would go blind. She also went on to talk about how her eyes would bleed and that's when I tuned out. I figured she wouldn't be talking about anything important for the remainder of the period.