12 - fair

I was exhausted when I woke up. I wasn't sure why.. I can only imagine how someone that actually dance last night felt.

"Ester!" my mom shouted. "You need to get up!"

I groaned and turned over onto my stomach. I looked at the clock. It read 8:02. That's why I'm so tired.

I didn't get home until late last night and I'm getting up earlier than I should on a Saturday. I don't even know what I need to get up for.

"Ester" my mom opened the door. "You promised you'd help out with the St. Boviner fair for the church!"

My mom has been very good friends with Steven's mom and even though she's really not religious, she loves to help the church and her dearest friend. She tends to drag me along with it.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I jumped in the shower and threw an Elton John T-shirt on and a pair of jeans.

I ran down stairs and my mom handed me a cup of coffee.

"You read my mind" I told her and sipped the bitter coffee.

"Ew" I said tiredly. "You could have put some cream in it or something" I whined.

"sorry, a little busy, a little late, let's go!" she told me and grabbed her purse. She grabbed some papers off the counter and her keys.

"Where did I put those glasses" she asked stressed out.

"Mom," I giggled. I grabbed the glasses off of her head and pushed them on to her face. "Stop stressing out."

We left the house and drove to the local church. It took about 10 minutes but once we got there it was completely empty. It wasn't open yet and there were only a few people setting up. I got out and saw Steven at the entrance.

"Ester! I'm so glad you came!" Stevens Mom, Lydia greeted me. She hugged me and kissed my cheek before hugging my mom. Steven came over and hugged me.

"You look tired." He told me.

"You don't look so great yourself." I laughed.

"Touche" He nodded.

"Alright you two, we have everything working. We just need you two to run the front booths for a while. There should be some other people for the afternoon shift." Lydia was explaining to me.

Steven and I walked behind the counter and organized the money, got a system going for the tickets and waited for people to arrive. I would be working the tickets and Steven would be working the money.

I finished my coffee and I felt ten times better. My head ache was still faintly there but I didn't feel exhausted.

Families started to come in one by one. By ten o'clock, there was a line outside. It was opening day, so it was expected to get packed. I was excited because the workers got a pass for all of the rides and they were guaranteed front of the line. It was the pay for their volunteer work.

One by one families and groups of friends passed by with their money until I saw a familiar group.

"Hey, Ester" Michael smiled at me.

"Hey boys" I smiled. Ashton, Luke, Calum, and Michael stood in front of me.

"I didn't know you were working this!" Ashton said "I guess that makes sense since Braelin has to work afternoon shift."

"Yeah, she's probably on her way" I nodded.

"You guys should text us later and we can hang out" Luke suggested. I noticed Calum was being quiet and standing behind the three boys.