08 - Homecoming: part 1

Wowowowowowow I have 10k on record shop thats amazing thank you so much!!! I love you all<333 here's a chapter for you :)))))

xx-----------------------------------------------------xx

Homecoming:

A game, usually football, where the whole student body comes to celebrate school spirit and then attends a dance the day after the game.

In our case, the game is soccer because that's the sport that everyone follows locally. Our princeple is also from Brazil so he thought it would be more appropriate because that's 'the sport that truly brings the world together.'

In other words, Calum will be playing and I will be taking pictures at the top of the bleachers alone.

"Murphaaayy" Michael said from behind me.

"Hey Michael" I waved to him.

"So are you planning on going to the homecoming game tonight?" he asked.

"No" I lied.

"C'mon you have to!" he persuaded.

"Why" I giggled.

"Because it's fun!" he nudge me. I almost fell over and he grabbed my arm to steady my balance.

"Not when you don't have any friends to go with" I sang.

"Ester Murphy!" he yelled at me.

"Michael Clifford" I said in the same tone.

"If you don't consider us friends by now then I'm deeply hurt." he said firmly.

"I barley know you!" I laughed.

"Then come to the game and get to know me. I want to be your friend Ester." he said honestly.

"Why" I blurted out and laughed.

"Damn Murphy do you think you're a pile of shit or what?" Michael chuckled.

"What do you mean?" I asked, getting defensive.

"You think that everyone hates you and they will never hang out with you." He scratched the back of his head. "That's really not the case, Ester"

I stayed silent. Was I supposed to believe him? Was I supposed to respond?

"Well I have to get to class before I'm late again" Michael laughed.

"Later and see you... when I see you.." I smiled.

"Aka tonight?" he joked. I just didn't respond. I was actually going, but I wanted to mess with Michael. Why did he want he to come so bad? I just shook my head and laughed as I walked to class.

------------------------------

"You're going to the game?" Braelin asked me.

"Yes B... is there a problem?" I raised my eye brown and held my camera in my left hand.

"Do you normally go to games?" she asked.

"Only for yearbook, and I leave early..." I told her. "But I think I'm staying tonight" I told her.

"I think I'm coming with Ashton too.. I'll see you there hopefully. Are you going with Steven?"

"He's probably going to be hanging out with Michael and so am I.. But yes Steven is coming... I guess I'll see you!" I smiled.

"You look diffrent..." Braelin told me.

I looked in the mirror that hung in the living room for decoration purposes.

"No, I mean.. you seem happy..." she told me.

"I've always been happy" I chuckled at her.

"No, not this kind of happy... this is the 'I-have-a-really-good-group-of-friends' kind of happy that makes you seem like you're enjoying yourself a lot more."

"You weirdo" I laughed and walked out the door.

--------------

When the sun went down, the noise came up. It was pretty cold and there was adrenalin rushing through everyone's blood. I found Steven leaning up against a wall talking to some friends. I approached him and he smiled his warm smile and gave me a hug.

"Let's go find a seat!" He called out as his friends walked away.

"Wait, we have to wait for Michael, is he here yet?" I asked.

"I haven't seen him" Steven smirked and shook his head.

"What is that look for?" I scrunched my eyebrows up.

"What look?" he asked. He now had his lying face on but I just ignored it.

"Let's go" I grabbed Stevens arm and linked mine with his; something we did often but never thought anything of.

We sat down and I began taking pictures of the team.

Soon, Braelin and Ashton came and sat down next to us.

"Hey, you weren't with Michael?" I asked Ashton.

"Hey Ester" he smiled and gave me a hug. "Michael had something to do I think.."

"Oh" I nodded. And he told me to come.

While I took pictures, I found myself always watching Calum in the viewfinder. I don't know why, I don't know him well enough to want to watch only him. He did throw me in the pool the other day though, so I guess that means we are close, right? I've never had a guy friend other than Steven so it was weird, thinking new thoughts, feeling the way I felt. Wanting to spend more and more time with him...

"And that concludes the first part of the game. We will now go into Halftime." The announcer projected over the audience.

It was still 0-0 and the school was still worked up.

"Excuse me" a familiar voice said over the speakers.

Everyone's attention turned to the empty field.

"Ester can I see your camera?" Steven asked me.

"Do you know what's going on?" I asked.

"It's a halftime performance.. they do one every year.. you just leave before they start it" Steven chuckled.

"Well let me get some pictures of it" I told him and tried to grab my camera.

"What's that?" Steven pointed to the field. Michael was walking into the middle of the field and he was dressed in a tux. Music started to play and I became extremely confused.

He started to mouth words to the song Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by Jersey Boys.

"What is he doing?" I laughed.

Seconds after Luke and Calum ran out with another boy and each we're holding a sign.

"Oh he's asking a girl to homecoming!" I smiled "How cute!"

As soon as the boys turned around it took me a minute to process everything.

"Oh..." I said, "He's asking ME to homecoming."

The one sign had my first name and the other read the last. The other boy held up the sign that read "Homecoming?"

"Go down there!" Braelin laughed at me.

I walked down and made my way to the field. All eyes were on me and everyone was cheering. Luke handed Michael flowers who held then out for me.

"So, Ester Murphy, would you go to homecoming with me?" he asked.

"Yes" I blurted out and laughed.

Apparently I'm going to homecoming now.