10 - Homecoming: part 2

Dinner wasn't awkward. It was nice. But Calum and I kept sharing glances the whole time and it wasn't annoying but I got the feeling that Michael noticed. 

We left for the dance in a suburban. It was large inside and seemed to be nice. Michael had purchased tickets way before he planned on asking me, so he kept those in his pocket. We kept up good conversation and we were actually having a good time. 

Once we arrived, got in and got out bags checked we reached the dance floor.

"So, Ester... here's the thing about me dancing.." Michael perked up.

"Yes?" I giggled.

"I don't dance..." He scratched his head.

"I'm so glad you said something" I laughed and sighed of relief. "Cause, I don't either..."

"There's way more to do than just dance!" He informed me "There's a photo booth, and some games, there's a place to sit and hang out. My favorite, the carriage ride!" 

"Carriage ride?" I asked interested.

"Yeah, we can do that later." He told me. 

"I'm gonna go find some friends" Calum said awkwardly behind us. I didn't even know he was there but he walked off and Steven was already out of sighed. Luke and Sariah were already visibly on the dance floor. Luke doing his awkward moves and Sariah laughing at him. It was almost obvious that they liked each other.

We walked around a bit and found a little booth for ice cream.

"So, is this better than your other homecoming dates so far?" Michael said playfully.

"Absolutely" I smiled. "It's also my first."

"You're joking" he looked at me. We were taking slow steps around and just talking. It was nice.

"Nope" I shook my head. 

"That's crazy!" He laughed. I saw Calum from a far. He was with a few friends from his soccer team. It looked to be the ones that crowded him and I on our way to class. That was the day that I heard him singing.

"Hello? Earth to Ester?" Michael waved a hand in front of my face.

"What?" I blinked "Sorry" 

"I asked you what other dances you've been do." He told me as he looked over to where I was looking at.

"I've never been to a dance before." I shrugged.

"Okay, answer this." He pointed to me. "What have you done?"

"I've taken pictures of the yearbook?" 

"You are a piece of work my friend" He shook his head. "Doesn't your life get boring?" 

"I'm concise with how i've been living..." I shrugged as though it wans't a big deal. "I really didn't think there was an in between of me and parties that get wasted. I've never even had a sip of alcohol."

"Well, you were wrong." Michael smiled. "I mean, yeah we've gotten drunk a few times, but it was with each other only and we did it at a tree house we used to stay at all the time."

"You guys are actually really good kids.." I told him.

"Thanks" Michael smiled.

Through out the night, I kept seeing Calum over and over again. He would come to talk to us and make small talk just like Michael and I had done all night, but he would leave and then distract me again. My mind did something weird when I saw him. It would shut down and only focus on him.