02 - small world

"Steven, I don't know if I can do this." I fell onto my couch.

"What do you mean?" He asked and took a sip of the water bottle he had been holding.

"I'm not the type of person to go around talking to people. I can't do that. I'm not right for this position. I can't do it." I put my hands over my face. "I've only ever talked to you and i'm fine with that. I'm not the type of person to have a million friends. I can't just go up to someone and start talking to them! I mean, Luke and Calum are in my class and they're going to look at me and go 'that's the weirdo that had to talk to me' and I'm going to make a fool of myself. It's bound to happen, i'm me. I can't do this Steven."

"Ester!" Steven sighed "Shut up."

"Excuse me?" I looked at him.

"Ester, you need to get yourself out there and be confident. They aren't going to think you're a loser if you mean business. All you have to do is ask them a few questions and then bam. Who cares if they think you're a fool. If you don't plan on being friends with them, then whats the big deal?"

He was extremely right. I wasn't planning on making any friends. All I needed to do was get a few pictures and quotes. I wouldn't have to talk to them ever again.

"This could potentially be good for you." Steven assured me "Get used to putting yourself out there. It's part of life."

As soon as he finished his sentence, his phone went off. He slid his finger across the screen and gave a warm hello. Within seconds his expression changed and he got up and exited the room.

"Ester" My sister Braelin sang as she jumped over the couch.

"B" I sighed.

"What's wrong little sis?" She asked.

"I just don't know how i'm going to feel about this year." I told her.

"Is this about the yearbook thing again?" She asked.

"Yes" I whined. "And, two of the worst people are in my class and I just don't know how i'm going to handle it. I'm going to have a mental breakdown soon."

"Who are these people?" She asked.

"Calum Hood and Luke Hemmings." I sighed.

"No way!" She giggled "They're really good friends with Ashton.."

Ashton Irwin was Braelin's kind of boyfriend. They went on a few dates and they both really liked each other, but they never made things official. She was two years older than me and a year older than Ashton but that never stopped them. Ashton graduated from a different school back in his hometown Sydney, Australia. They met at some video shop in LA and turns out they lived in the same neighborhood in the middle of Huntington Beach, California.

"You've got to be joking me." I grunted.

"Hey! The're really cool guys!" She assured me "You have nothing to worry about with those two."

"B, I don't talk to anyone but Steven. How am I going to talk to the most popular guys in school? This depends on my grade." I fell over and got into a laying position on the couch.

"Give them a chance. It's not like you're going on a date with them." She told me.

"I know." I sighed.

"Small world" She giggled.

"Yeah" I agreed. Steven walked back in to the living room and sat back down.

"Hey Steve" Braelin giggled.

"That is the worst nickname you have ever come up with." He laughed.

"What was that phone call about?" I asked.

"Oh, it was nothing" He swatted the air. I didn't ask any further questions, we just sat there in silence for a bit.

"so tell me about your teachers, who do you have?" Braelin asked.

I went through all my teachers and told her about them all.

"Don't worry, this year is going to be amazing. Just you wait little sis, it will be better tha you ever thought." She told me.

"I have to second that. Don't waste your time worrying. Just live." Steven pipped in.

"You should go to a party, I loved doing that when I was a senior!"

"Okay Mrs. Popular" I rolled my eyes. "I don't have enough friends to go to a party."

"You need to stop saying that. I bet you have a lot more than just Steven." My sister said.

"I mean, I don't count my lab partner as a friend." I giggled.

I knew I was being dramatic. It was one of my flaws. I over reacted with things like this. It's just, i'm not used to stepping out of my comfort zone so I wasn't handling this very well. It really wasn't as big of a deal as I was making it.

"You'll be fine Est, I promise you." Steven assured me.

I took a deep breath and kept telling myself that.

I can get through this. I thought to myself, It wont be that bad.

---------

Sorry it's so short. I hope you enjoy <3