Mr Kingston's Roommate|07

Edited

Leila's POV
Realization

In my hand weighed something heavier than the sorrowful whisper of my soul when it began to diminish the night I dammed my existence to hell.

This simple piece of paper contained the number to someone's phone; A person I never thought I'd see again. A person I'm positive will never be a part of my life again. Before leaving for college, I found this number tucked in the pocket of my father's jeans whilst doing laundry.

When I tugged it out, I didn't expect it to be something of my interest. That was until I flipped the paper over and saw her name scribbled messily across it. My mother's name that is. I quickly took her number down, saving it for the day I'd have the courage to call.

When she left home, she made it clear that she never wanted to see my face nor hear my voice again. It's been years since I've last heard from her. 

"Did you mean it? Mom — all those things you've said to me? Do you really hate me? D-do you really wish I was the one who died?"

"You killed him. You killed him, Leila. And I'll never forgive you for it."

My fingers weighed down heavily on the numbers displayed on my screen. It took a few deep breaths of air to coax me into hitting the dial button and with a soft click not long after, her groggy voice filled the empty walls of this room.

"Hello?" My breath hitched. Without much effort, tears sprung to my eyes as I battled with myself to keep my emotions at bay. I hate her. I hate her for leaving me when I needed her the most. I hate her for blaming me like everyone else did when I needed to hear that it wasn't my fault.

Did she even love me? Or did she love the idea of me; The perfect daughter whose image shattered in her head once I didn't meet her expectations. When I unintentionally murdered the person she did truly love. Now, I'm just a shadow. . .I'm the remnants of the daughter she once desired. "Hi. . .M-mom it's me, it's Le–"

"— Leila?" Her voice was sharp. .abrupt. It sliced right through the confidence I conjured up just for this moment and I watched with tears rolling down my eyes as that confidence completely withered away. My irregular breathing and soft wails were enough of a confirmation for her.

Even through the phone, I could feel the hostility reverberating off her through the sharp hitches of her shallow breath and the disgruntled grown of distaste that rumbled past her lips as she said my name with utter revulsion.

"Leila–" my name sounded heavy on her tongue. It sounded foreign "do not call my phone you incompetent child! I knew your no-good father would have given it to you but I made myself clear. I never want to see nor hear from you again! Lose my number before you lose me completely! I want you to continue remembering what you took from us. I won't let you back in my life so easily, you got that? Don't fucking call me."

The line went dead, leaving her cold and distant voice hovering in the air as it taunted me into oblivion. I stared down at the phone in my hand and choked out a sob that desperately wanted to escape my lips. Without thinking rationally, I reeled my hand back and flung the phone across the room, watching motionless as it slammed into the wall.

A loud shattering sound enveloped the room as my hard-earned money toppled to the ground in a dismantled mess. Before I could begin to comprehend what I had just done, the door clicked open and Blake came strutting in, one hand already loosening his neck-tie as the other set his briefcase down beside his bed which just so happened to be where I possibly destroyed my phone.