Mr Kingston's Roommate|36

Leila's POV
Misses
*Three weeks later*

In one more day, I'll be back on campus. In a few more weeks it'll be summer. I was contemplating staying here until summer ended, seeing as students rarely spent time on campus during vacation, but this was more of a vacation than I intended it to be. 

It was time to head back to school. Even if I'm already caught up on my school work it wasn't to my fullest potential. And added to that, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Sam, Midge and Peter. I wanted to see them before they left campus for vacation and I was also hoping Blake would be there by the time I got back.

"Leila, can I come in?" Patricia inquired from behind my closed door. I zipped up my suitcase and pushed it at the end of the bed as I mumbled that it was okay. The doorknob twisted slowly and Patricia entered soon after, a black box visible in her hands. 

"I got you a parting gift." 

"Patricia you didn't have to," I replied, sighing deeply when she shook her head in denial. She approached me slowly, a smile playing on her lips. "No, I absolutely had too, having you here has been amazing, Leila. I've always wanted a daughter and finally, I got to experience that even if it was for a while." 

She lowered herself down on the bed beside me and grabbed my hand. Before I could retaliate she placed it in my palm and enclosed my fingers around it, "have it, from a woman who would love to continue being apart of your life and your journey to womanhood." 

I don't know if it were the nostalgic feel of having my mother sitting right on this bed, telling me how much she loved me before my brother died, or if it was because I forgot how it felt to have a mother figure embrace me as just that. 

But I couldn't help the tears that rolled down my cheeks as I peered up at her. She tutted softly and pulled me into her arms, hugging me tightly. I hugged back, "that means a lot to me, Patricia thank you. And thank you again for coming into my father's life, without you I don't know what would have happened to him." 

I never thought in four years that these words would even cross my mind but, I'm happy my mother isn't apart of our lives anymore. She made my father miserable and drove him to become an alcoholic because he couldn't put up with her anymore. 

He couldn't put up with her abuse, her mental spiral and because he didn't pay her any attention she took it out on me. Blamed me for Kyle's death, hit me when she could, break things around the house as she screamed bloody mary.

She was a mess and neither my father nor I could have handled it. Funny enough we still loved her, even though my father lost his job for slacking because of all the stress home, even though he became a drunk, even though he became numb. . . he still loved her. 

And that's why he blamed me when she left. 

Because he loved her and her problems lied with me. She was toxic and she only needed something to trigger that part of her. Kyle died, I understand that she'd be depressed because she lost her firstborn, her child, the person she loved more than herself. 

But normally when one child dies parents tend to love the other more in fear that they'd be taken away as well. But no, she resented me, blamed his death on me for dragging him out of the house that night even though I had no control over the situation. She never loved me again and she caused my father to do the same. Only, the alcohol was the one controlling him when anger controlled her.