Mr Kingston's Roommate|09

Edited

Blake's POV
Reassurance

To say that I was petrified at the sight of the hand jutting through the now broken glass was an understatement. I may appear to be calm and levelheaded to my students but I wanted nothing more than to curl into the corner of the classroom like them and cry until help arrived. As ridiculous as it sounds, I am human too.

However, when I applied for this job, I not only vowed to teach my students everything that I've learned but I also made a commitment to them; to protect them under all circumstances. And right now, that's exactly what I needed to do.

The class was already in an uproar at the sound of the glass hitting the floor. I waved my hands frantically to the back of the classroom, signalling for them to get furthest away from the entrance as they possibly could. Samantha latched onto a hyperventilating Leila and dragged her across the class along with the other students until I was the only one left standing.

"Professor, let me in!" A deep, almost maniacal voice cackled from behind the door. I knelt down beside my desk and immediately fished out the black case tucked into the back. I never thought the day would come when I'd need to use my firearm but it was here for a reason. The uprise in school shootings in the United States had spooked my mother so severely, that she made me promise to get my gun license and keep one hidden in my classroom.

I thought it was absurd to just have a gun lying around my class but god, who would have known that the day when I'd have to use it to protect the lives of over one hundred students and myself would come? My fingers nervously glided across the combination lock as the sound of the door handle jiggling enveloped my ears.

Once it was unlocked, I grabbed the unloaded gun from inside and the clip already loaded with bullets. I sprung back onto my feet, not bothering to glance at my frantic students as I carefully crossed the class toward the entrance. With the layout of the classroom, it was easy for me to see the perpetrator but not the other way around which gave me the upper hand.

However, even hidden behind the wall, for me to attack I'd need to reveal myself first. Three things could happen. One: he could immediately shoot me the moment I come into sight, two: I could shoot him first or three: we both shoot and either one of us ends up dead. Regardless, I can't stay hidden here.

Just as I began to contemplate my next course of action, a loud thud snapped me out of my thoughts. That was the sound of the door handle hitting the floor. The screams around me grew louder and soon enough it was drowned out by the sound of heavy footsteps crushing glass beneath their feet.

I had no time to think.

I either die trying to save everyone or I die doing absolutely nothing.

So with that, I lowered my index finger onto the trigger and stepped out into the open. My heart was hammering in my chest beyond the human's capability, my hands were sweaty, my eyes were burning with unshed tears, and my legs were almost giving out underneath me. And at the sight of the 6'0 man adorned in a black balaclava with a shotgun perched in his arms: I knew that at this very moment I'd possibly not see tomorrow.

The man whose face was concealed by the mask raised his gun to my head and chuckled. Then and there my life flashed before my eyes. I thought of my mom, my father, my friends, my career, my short life on this earth and all the things I had yet to fulfill.

Thinking that in a split second this could all go away was absolutely frightening.

But I didn't care.

"Aren't you a brave one—" the man was barely able to get a few words past his lips before I aimed the gun at his thigh and lowered my finger down onto the trigger. The splitting sound that emitted from the gun sent me careering into the wall as my ears began to ring. Loud screams scattered around me, along with the wailing and whimpering of the bloody perpetrator cradling his thigh.