Prologue

Copywrite to VedaPettigrew

I looked out through the glass pane, there was only grey mist to be seen. It blocked everything out of sight; the forest, the wide open lawn, the massive patio. All rendered invisible by the bleak, damp grey.

Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful in its own way, and certainly matched the state of my heart right now. I had just hoped that I might get to see my new home better than I did on the drive through the dusk last night.

I sighed and opened the sash window and immediately caught the delicious scent of wet earth, dewy grass, and damp forest. I breathed it in deeply, it was addictive and honestly far better that the smell I was used to at my old home.

There, the smell was mostly overwhelmed by the fumes of the nearby city. It was all we could afford.

Opposite to the human world where living in a city was for the wealthy, werewolves longed for wide open spaces so it was cheaper the closer you lived to any built up area. And, as werewolves were forbidden from entering the human housing market, there had been no way for my parents to buy anything more than a mile away from the city. Which meant I had grown up with the smell of car fumes and overcrowded living spaces as the norm.

It was nothing like this...

I knelt by the window and rested my head in the open gap, never wanting to leave this spot again.

CRASH

My door banged open and I jumped, hitting my head on the window above. "Ouch."

"Come on, get up and stop daydreaming." The harsh voice of my grandmother grated on my ears. "We need to get started on breakfast for the menfolk."

I groaned, surely they could make their own breakfast, why did I have to get up super early to do it? I mean, I know I was awake now, but I hadn't actually gone to sleep. I was too sad, too scared.

"Don't give me that attitude young lady. Your parents may have raised you with their airy fairy ways, but you'll do it the right way from now on." My grandmother sounded both smug and resentful at the same time.

I didn't know what to do, part of me wanted to rebel but I remembered my mother in the hospital bed with tears in her eyes, begging me to be obedient, that fighting the system was useless. Telling me to hope for a mate as progressive as Daddy.

I shook the memories out of my head, for now I was too tired to think of rebellion. Bone weary was the phrase I would use.

"Coming Grandmother." I stood from the window reluctantly, and headed towards her, ignoring the satisfied smile on her lips.

Life was going to be very different from now on.