Ch 15 - Jeremy's Punishment

Copyright VedaPettigrew

Jeremy squawked in terror at Alpha Alpha's words. I didn't blame him, my mate was furious.

"Hmmm, what to do? What punishment would be suitable?" he mocked. He clicked his fingers and Jeremy flinched violently. "I think we'll go old-school."

He turned to Jeremy's father who was blanching. "Fetch the tools I will need."

"He's my son," Beta Leonard managed to say in a strangled voice.

"That doesn't absolve your responsibility for administering a punishment for his terrible crimes. Do you know how many women he has raped and taken advantage of?" There was no yielding in his tone, just controlled anger. Beta just shook his head, though his face paled.

"I'll tell you then." Alpha Alpha looked to the tense crowd, "While reading his mind it became apparent that many of you females have suffered at his hand." A low gasp came from the male section. His gaze snapped their way, "Men, you are forbidden to question your mates. If they choose to tell you, there will be no punishment for them, no negative repercussion."

His command vibrated and every male nodded as one. Pride inundated my body and I felt my heart grow towards him. His spine straightened at my regard.

"Greta, I must concentrate."

"Sorry," I mumbled. He flexed his shoulder-blades and continued.

"Beta Jeremy has forced himself on over thirty females and used blackmail and shame to ensure their silence. He is the lowest of the low. No wolf should be abused in such a manner. It is beyond dishonourable. I will ensure he will never be able to commit such a crime again."

He turned to Beta, "Fetch the tools." His voice was granite and Beta Leonard had no choice but to obey.

There was a heavy silence as we waited, broken only by Jeremy's pitiful whimpering. It slithered over me, making a wave of uncomfortable prickles attack my skin. I leant on Alarick, nuzzling my nose deep into his ruff. His rough tongue licked my back and made me hum.

I heard a warning cough from his human and giggled at his jealous disapproval but quickly stopped when Jeremy's whining misery got louder. I pressed my ear against Alarick's soft fur and covered the other with my hand. I didn't want to hear the terrified sobbing, it distressed me.

But why? I shouldn't care. He had wounded me grievously and caused me horrible torment for the past three weeks, I should be rejoicing at his anguish, not commiserating.

"You're compassionate," Alpha Alpha remarked in a hard tone. "It is an admirable quality but thoroughly misplaced right now. I should be angry that you feel anything but hatred towards this man, yet I find your kind-heartedness only increases your value in my eyes."

My heart skipped. He found me valuable?

"Of course I do. Do not mistake it for softness though. I see your rebellious nature as well, and I will not tolerate it."

I decided to ignore that and focus on the fact that my mate considered me valuable. A gentle growl headed my way, "That is the very rebelliousness I was talking about." Apparently I told him my plan. Oops.

"I think you're a good male." I ignored my error, only centring on the positives right now.

"That is not the point," he reprimanded with mild frustration.

I teased, "I think it's a fair point to make."

"Greta," he admonished.

All the times Jeremy would say my name with his awful 'tut, tut', and when Luna or Alpha would scold me, rushed through my mind, "Please don't call me that."