Ch 34 - Trouble in the Hallway

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

I tried to calm the beating of my heart, so loud it should be echoing through the spacious hall. Dominic made no move to come towards me but his stance was rigid, taut muscles corded in his arms and neck. Alarick was nudging his fist with his nose, not looking in my direction, and Silver whined at his inattention.

The gritting of his jaw was obvious as the seconds ticked by, marked by the pendulum of the ornate grandfather clock. He was angry, possibly even furious and I looked back over the last few minutes to find out why. He was standing by the window which must mean he was watching outside and... realisation dawned. Seeing it from his position I saw how flirtatious my interaction with Hammer must have seemed. I had giggled and whispered in his ear, promising to keep secrets as I teased him.

Dominic didn't even like the idea of us being friends so anything which showed my affection for the solid man that had become my stalwart, must be magnified in his eyes.

We stared at each other, I fumbled with the bangle on my wrist, twisting it round and round. He didn't move a single muscle. After a few minutes he took a deep breath.

"You can go Greta," he growled, "I meant it when I said I wouldn't bother you."

I nodded shakily and started stepping backwards, he watched my retreat with hooded eyes and fists still clenched. I realised that his jealousy was amplified because of the emotional distance between us. Any fondness I showed Hammer, or anyone else, was more than he was getting, and it hurt him.

I reached the door to the basement and grasped the handle, opening it a fraction, but something stopped me from leaving just then. I needed to reassure him that there was no need for jealousy. Despite my feelings regarding the situation between us, we didn't need any other hindrances to our already struggling relationship. I wasn't about playing games. Our mateship needed honesty and openness, I took Ori's warning about communication seriously.

"I..." I started, he juddered at the sound of my voice and his eyes bored into mine. "... um... well, I just wanted to say again, I have no romantic feelings for Hammer."

He didn't respond, his steely gaze unchanging. I continued unsurely, "I don't know what you think you saw, but I was just teasing him about his love for his family." I replayed the moment through the link, making sure he was aware of my hope for him and Joan. He nodded along, looking unsurprised when he saw it and I wondered if he had noticed their attraction already.

"Yes I did, it was one of the reasons I wanted her to join you. I thought once she was here, they might feel freer to act upon it." That was unexpectedly thoughtful of him, my heart bounced in response. I showed him the moment I witnessed between them in the orangery. A soft smile played about his mouth, was it for their sake or mine?

"I know that you don't feel anything other than friendship for Hammer," Dominic's stance relaxed as he put a hand in his pocket. "Except maybe a familial connection. It's just hard to see you free and happy with another man when you are so guarded with me. It's not your fault, I just needed a moment without feeling the eyes of all your protectors on me."

I snorted, "Yes, I know how that feels."

"They stay," he growled bluntly. "Your safety isn't something I'll ever take lightly." I nodded, I knew as much but it didn't make it any less exhausting to always be watched, monitored.

"Even while I'm in the house?" I offered. "Do they really need to follow me about from room to room? Surely they could be stationed outside or something?"

Dominic stared at me, his steely eyes blank as he, hopefully, thought it over. I didn't press or try to cajole, it wouldn't make a difference. But I hoped that he would take it seriously even though it was my first time asking.