Ch 6 - Five Starfish

Copywrite to VedaPettigrew

I found my Grandmother in her little study, going over the day's rota.

"Hi Grandmother," I chirped happily. Having my voice back rocked.

She looked at me and her mouth twisted in disapproval. I still don't know why my existence is such a bane to her, but she obviously hates me. She hasn't done anything but scowl and frown at me from the moment I arrived.

Grandfather doesn't smile, but his expressions aren't full of distaste at the sight of me. I sigh internally.

"I see Alpha gave you permission to speak again. Personally I liked the silence." Her voice was bitter to match her sour expression.

It was a shame. She was a classic beauty, stunning to look at. Like a 1920's glamorous Hollywood star. Even her clothes fitted the model. Her long dresses with their lowered waistlines gave her an elegance I could not achieve with my shapeless sacks.

But her ugly expressions made her beauty lessen. Her mean words and spiteful behaviour didn't help either.

"Don't worry Grandmother, I'm happy to adhere to your wishes and speak to you as little as possible," I offered with a saccharine smile. Her jaw ticked.

Ha!

"Do not call me Grandmother. It seems ridiculous when I only look a few years older than you," she snapped.

Well that was true.

"So shall I call you Granny, or Elgatha?" I asked with fake innocence, knowing she'd hate both.

"No," she bit sharply. "You may call me Luna Elgatha or Luna, just like everyone else."

"Ok Luna." I'm happy not to acknowledge her as my grandmother anyway. How she produced my sweet, funny, kind mother, I have no idea.

"Grandfather has given me a punishment."

She smirked, "What did you do?"

"I'll let Grandfather tell you why. But my punishment is that I'm cooking dinner tonight solo." Her eyebrows drew together and she looked at her list.

"Well that just changes everything I've just worked on. How annoying, I might have to add to your punishment for the inconvenience."

"But it's not my fault, Grandfather was the one who chose it," I protested.

"Yes but if you hadn't done anything to warrant a punishment it would not have been an issue," she said smugly.

"Hence my punishment. I don't think you're entitled to give me another one for the same thing," I cried out, frustrated.

She looked pleased at my distress. Silver growled low, rumbling her dissatisfaction with this female. I certainly wasn't about to take this lying down.

"If you punish me, won't it look like you don't support Grandfather's decision?" I asked, with a curious frown.

Her victorious smirk dropped and it was all I could do to maintain my innocent expression.

"Yes well," she floundered, "It's ridiculous to think that. I support my alpha in everything. Just go you brat, I need to work."

"Ok Gra... Luna." I quickly amended as she scowled at me.

I ran out and through the hallways to find the laundry room. I tiptoed to the door and quietly turned the handle before throwing the door open, jumping in the room and singing, "Hi girls."

Sophie, Bee, Lacy, Joan and Kat all jumped a mile in the air at the sudden entrance and I giggled at the look of shock on their faces. I shut the door behind me quickly, knowing that it was one of the few soundproofed rooms and we would have some privacy. The noise of the constant washing machines was annoying to the peace of the pack house, so soundproofing was considered appropriate.