Ch 54 - A Golden Blessing

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

It was an unusually gloomy day, grey clouds hung low in the sky as I watched Dominic pace along the stage waiting for everyone and everything to be ready. He had ordered a gathering for every adult wolf. Cameras had been set up and I knew we were already being broadcast to all the other packs. I tried to look calm but I had no idea what was going on.

Dominic had refused to tell me, merely grinning and bopping me on the nose whenever I asked, saying it was a surprise. Infuriating male. But at least I could tell it wasn't anything bad, he was too cheerful.

I was glad that Dominic had forgone the public display of George's beating, I didn't want to see any more violence. Instead it had been done in private with a handful of prominent males present. A few days later he had announced Dr George's decision to relocate to the rest of the pack, telling them he had been offered a place in a distant pack that needed more doctors due to their increasing population.

George had been angry when he heard the news of course, but I'm sure I saw relief in his eyes as well and I prayed that the new start would be a new chapter for him.

Hestia had secretly thanked me for coming up with the idea, confiding that she too thought it would be good for him and was desperately hoping that he would take the opportunity to take stock of his life and change his mean-spirited heart. It wasn't just Dominic's shadow he was escaping from, but Max's as well, because even though Max would be in prison for a long time, George visited him regularly, and each time he returned with a serious attitude problem.

With him being in another pack, he wouldn't be listening to whatever poison Max was spouting.

A rumble of thunder took me from my thoughts. I sighed lovingly as I watched my mate pacing back and forth. He seemed almost jittery and I was desperate to know could make him that way. Alarick sat watching his human with pride. Definitely something momentous was happening and although I was annoyed at Dominic's secrecy, I was also excited that this could be the moment I had been waiting for.

Silence crept over the restless crowd as Dominic finally turned to face the front. Mouths stopped talking, arms and legs stopped fidgeting, bottoms stopped shuffling, and they all waited expectantly, watching the wolf that was their leader with curious eyes. Nobody knew what this was about.

Well, nobody apart from the man sitting by my side. Brogan Brogan! The man that my mate admired and respected above any other. The elder he turned to first and the only one who could sway his mind with a differing opinion. According to Dominic, the rest of the council were to be respected but not necessarily followed.

He was also the man who had been holed up with Dominic for the last week. He patted my arm and leant in, "Everything will be fine dear."

"Wolves..." Dominic spoke boldly, not needing to raise his voice to be heard. His deep undertones projected further than most could shout.

The crowd watched him deferentially but he stopped, not saying another word. There was complete stillness in the thousands in front of us.

Suddenly he fell to his knees and the entire area was filled with a single gasp, louder than any other ever made, made by every wolf simultaneously. Their Alpha Alpha was kneeling before them.

Kneeling.

"You have been wronged for years," Dominic confessed earnestly. "For too many years you have been led astray. Lies have been formed from the roots of our society and have grown for centuries without being chopped down as they should."

Everybody looked confused but not one of them took their eyes away from their leader.

"I am your Alpha Alpha and I should not have believed these lies. None of your leaders should have, each one of us is at fault."