Ch 36 - Joan's Secret

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

"No, I don't believe you," Annabelle looked at me like I was crazy and I couldn't hide my amusement.

"It's true. It's not a magic trick or parlour game, it's a gift. A beautiful gift from a beautiful creator." I had just finished telling the group of Pi women all about the wondrous Ori and they were having trouble getting their heads around some things. "But, great as it is being able to mind-link, it's not the point of loving Ori. We don't love her because of the gifts she gives us, even though they are amazing, we..."

"I'm pretty sure I'll love her if she lets me talk to people in my head," Jenna interrupted.

I smiled, "That was kinda what I was just saying. You can't love her just to get her gifts. That's not real love."

"Why else would you love her?" Jenna asked in confusion, "It's not like she's here with us, we can't get to know her or anything."

"You can," Joan put in. "You just start talking to her and you can feel her near, you know she's listening when things start to happen..."

"Like super-strength and hearing?" Annabelle said cynically, "And being able to talk inside your heads. I don't believe you, it sounds too fantastical."

"Like turning into wolves you mean?" I asked humorously, raising my eyebrows.

"That's just normal, we all do that. What you're telling us about is different, the only one who can talk like that is Alpha. The only way we can do it is with him, if he starts first."

"You can do it if you both have a real wolf and you're in the same pack. So far that's just me and Joan, me and Alpha, but not Alpha and Joa..." I stopped and looked at her, "Actually, we don't know if that's true. You might be able to mindlink with him, I mean technically you've gone through the initiation. Give it a go."

Joan shook her head nervously, "Firstly, no! Are you crazy? I can't imagine him being too happy if I just pop into his head unannounced." That was true enough, Dominic would probably freak out, it was only me that had ever done it. "Secondly, we haven't taken part in the Pledging Ceremony. We need to do that to officially become members of the same pack."

"That's a poi..."

"Let me guess you're 'mindlinking' again," Annabelle said using air-quotes.

"Sorry, that was rude. We were just debating whether Joan would be able to initiate contact with Alpha," I explained, feeling guilty. It was a bad habit to have private conversations in front of other people.

"And what did you come up with?" Jenna asked while Annabelle looked decidedly cynical.

"That she probably would once we become official members," I answered.

"Is that what Alpha's announcement was about? Are you pledging tonight?" Annabelle asked.

I shook my head as Joan answered, "Not as far as we're aware."

"You know, I get the fact that you don't believe us Annabelle, it's weird. But I want to show you that I'm no liar. I'll go over there, you stay here with Joan and get her to tell me to do something." Before she could answer I dashed off to the other side of the wide circular driveway, far enough that I wouldn't be able to catch anything with my human hearing. "Tell her to whisper quietly otherwise I'll be able to hear."

Joan did just that and Annabelle shook her head. "Really? You can hear me if I talk in this voice?" she asked snippily while facing away.

"YES," I yelled loudly making her whizz round to face me in shock. I grinned, "SO MAKE SURE YOU WHISPER."