Ch 30 - Meeting With Dominic

Copyright VedaPettigrew

Dominic stepped back so I could enter the room but I hesitated. "After you," I swallowed. His steady gaze flickered with sorrow as he nodded and walked into the room for me to follow. I hated how different things felt between us now but the space was necessary for me to keep breathing properly.

His study was almost the size of Joan's entire living space. Two sash windows sat on the far wall, going almost from floor to ceiling, providing a stunning backdrop to the grand room. He went to sit on the chair behind his desk while Alarick stood by his side, eyeing me unhappily. Dominic waved me to sit on one of the two chairs in front of the desk,  but I could only stand at the door, willing my feet to move.

I could do it. I could get close to him. Maybe.

"Come on Luna," Hammer walked past me, entering first and giving me the courage to follow. "Boss, you happy if I listen to some music?"

He got out some headphones after Dominic's terse nod and started listening to something so loudly we could hear the tinny melody in the otherwise silent room. He sat in a chair and gazed out the window and I knew he was doing his best for both of us. Privacy for Dominic. Presence for me.

I cautiously went to the chair next to him and sat down opposite man and wolf, both seeming full of desperation. "I thought you knew it was coming," Dominic said again as he stared my way, fiddling with his his cuff-links . "I thought you understood."

"I wasn't brought up in this world. You know that. How could I possibly know what that phrase meant? Why didn't you explain?" I spoke lightly, proud that only a slight tremor was detectable.

"I..." his voice caught in misery, "I just didn't think about it. I was so excited about the idea of making our mateship official. " He dragged his fingers through his hair, "It wouldn't have been an issue if you'd been raised in a pack".

Sudden anger spurted through me, "I'm so fed up of that as an excuse," I bit out, "It wouldn't have happened AT ALL if you hadn't been raised in a pack. Why does it make me the one in the wrong? I was happy, I was free. Life was easier and better before I joined a pack, and I wish to Ori that I'd never been forced to."

"You don't mean that? What about us?" he asked hoarsely.

"Right now, I mean every word. What has been better for me in this packlife you so acclaim? Nothing." I swore viciously then slapped my hand to my mouth. I never cursed. Dominic looked shocked at my imprecation.

But I had started something I couldn't hold back.

"Why is it that I always have to see things from your point of view? Huh? Because let me tell you, I don't agree with most of the 'benefits' pack-life has to offer. Why can't you look at it from my point of view?" my hands were waving about wildly as I lost my temper, anger overriding my fear.

"Just try Dominic. Close your eyes and picture my life the way it was. No collar. No ownership. Freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. No fear of the whipping post, no fear of disproportionate punishment. No fear of speaking my mind. Laughing, joking, singing, friends, love, family. Everything was pretty perfect."

He was gazing at me, absorbing everything I said in my rant. "Then in the space of one week, I lose everything. EVERYTHING. Everything good in my life was ripped away and I was taken to a place that offered no comfort, no love. Where every decision on how I lived my life was stolen from me. Where suddenly I had to analyse everything all the time, every word, every decision, to avoid getting punished for something that seemed so normal to me. Do you know how exhausting that is? NO you don't, because you so happen to be born with a penis instead of a vagina."