Ch 44 - A Terrible Truth

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

"What? Me? No. Why would I have the Origins?" I asked dumbfounded.

The twinkle in his eye dimmed a little and the uncomfortable feeling that I'd let him down niggled at me as disappointment was evident in his tone, "Oh dear, I was so looking forward to seeing them again, they are stunning you know."

"But, why would I have them?" I persisted, confused.

"Because I sent them to your mother," he said matter-of-factly as if I wasn't about to explode with curiosity and lack of understanding. At the mention of her name, my heart skipped uncomfortably as it always did - the reminder that she was gone, forced into my chest unwanted.

I ignored the twinge and focussed on what he had said. "When? When did you have them? Why did you send them to Mumma? Where were they? What... I don't understand."

He chuckled and reached to pat my hand but Hammer growled softly making him pull back. I tossed an exasperated look to an unrepentant Hammer who was proudly taking the role of overprotective Bapa as well as being Luna Luna's Protector. I tried to find an ally in Joan but she was unmistakably amused by the whole thing, offering me an unconcerned shrug. I rolled my eyes and turned back to a smiling Brogan who picked up with his tale.

"After my retirement I took to tottering about in the file room. I love history and I'm very interested..."

"Nosy," his mate snorted.

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Interested," he repeated pointedly, "in knowing things. The treasure trove of information in that room is heaven for a man like me. Not to mention the added adventure of trying to find it in the chaos."

It was Joan's turn to snort now. Adventure wasn't the word she would use for it I'm sure. He turned to her with a gleam in his eye, "I take it you've been down there?"

"We all have," Hammer grunted.

"Amazing isn't it? If you found any sort of organisation in there, it's my doing," he said proudly.

Joan answered, "I did actually. Once I got stuck in, it was definitely noticeable. And helpful. So, thank you."

"I'm glad to be of assistance. See," he turned his head to Olga smugly. "I did something useful. Not just doddering about like a fool."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head, snorting, "You're impossible." Her tone was free and loving. Not something I was used to hearing in female pack wolves. My respect for Brogan increased tenfold.

He carried on his tale with a quick wink to his mate. "I found all sorts of interesting things down there. You wouldn't believe... actually, I suppose you would if you've been down there. Isn't it marvellous? Who would ever guess the value of things in that room eh?"

I was about to explode, wishing he would get to the point of his tale. "I agree," I said politely but shortly, hoping to encourage him to continue with relevant facts and not wax lyrical about the file room.

"Indeed, I might have to go down there again," he sighed wistfully, a dreamy look in his eye. "One thing I found there, hidden in plain sight, under a pile of papers and randomly, wool. Why there was wool down there I don..."

"Brogan, you're driving these young ones insane," his mate interrupted, "get on with it."

He humphed, "You have no appreciation for the fine intricacies of telling a tale my belove..."

She coughed and he stopped abruptly. "Fine, fine, you win, I'll get on with it," he sighed crossly. "So under this pile of tut and nonsense was..." He lowered his voice dramatically, "a safe..." He paused, eying us all as he waited for us to ooh and aah. Sadly he wasn't going to be satisfied.