Ch 17 - Tail Biting is the New Flirtation

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Bubbles popped in my chest as adrenaline rushed through my body. Silver took a bounding leap off a crop of boulders onto a soft grassy path and kept running. The yowls and playful barking of all my Starfish behind caused us to howl back as she saw a stream and jumped in, running along the rocky base, water splashing and soaking her coat.

The moon was shining brightly enough that it was nearly clear as daytime.

We had been gathered in The Ocean when we felt it calling to us, luring us outside. Letty had voiced her longing to shift first, her grey wolf Malira was quietly howling with yearning at the beautiful orb in the sky, and there had been a unanimous agreement it was time to go on a pack run.

Hammer's big grey-brown wolf was with us, easily keeping pace. After trying to lead the run and realising we were not going to follow, he did the next best thing and stuck to Silver's side like glue.

Before we left for our run, he had stood outside The Ocean like a very severe doorman, verifying and searching everyone who came in. He'd been a bit disgruntled when I'd asked him to let me have some time alone with my friends but after some cajoling and promises that we wouldn't go anywhere without telling him, he ended up allowing it. Though only after locking the external door and windows, and removing all the keys.

"So Joan," I said in a playful voice, "How's the view from back there?"

"Quiet you," she retorted.

"She can't seem to keep her eyes off a certain male wolf. She's tripped over three times," Sophie teased.

Laughter ran throughout the link.

"He's got a nice gait," Joan said defensively, "I'm just watching for tips."

"Sure you are," Kat joined in.

"A nice gait, that's what we're calling it is it?" Lacy giggled lightly.

"I should tell you," Clara ribbed, "It isn't improving your running. You just keep running into things."

"Leave me alone you lot. He's a Warrior Protector, nothing will ever happen between us. I just think he has an attractive wolf, his colouring is unique and he's very muscular," Joan huffed. I heard the blue undertone in her thoughts though and sympathised with her.

It had been obvious earlier in the kitchen while preparing dinner, that they noticed each other. When Hammer had shown an interest I had wondered if he would be man enough to ignore the fact that she was an omega.

I hoped so, I had a feeling they might be true mates. Honey certainly perked up when she was with him, her eyes following his movements longingly, even though he could not see her.

"Joan," I said privately, "Don't worry, we'll get him real wolf too, then he'll have no choice but to see how perfect and beautiful you are."

"What do you mean no choice?"

"Isn't Honey indicating anything about him to you?"

"I'm trying not to notice, I don't want to let her down when she discovers he won't see us as anything other than an omega," she mumbled glumly.

"You don't know that for sure, let's hope for the best. Any man would be lucky to have you."

"That isn't the case though," she blurted. "I've been let down before. A potential mate that Alpha put forward rejected the idea, I wasn't good enough for some reason."