Epilogue

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

I stood at the edge of the platform, watching as a mesmerising stream of wolves ran in formation underneath. They were Alpine Forest wolves, judging from their scent. I clapped and cheered them on, hearing a groan from behind me.

"Ets, no cheering the competition. We've talked about this before," Kat called grumpily. I didn't take it personally, she was in her eleventh month of pregnancy and was feeling ALL her emotions as well as being uncomfortable most of the time. She pulled up the waistband of her soft support leggings, still humphing in my direction.

I turned to her and blew a raspberry. "I am the Luna Luna of every wolf pack. They are not my competition," I gloated. I smirked as I reminded her again, "It means I win, no matter what. Haha."

"Eurgh, you're impossible," Kat grumbled.

I grinned at her until she smiled. It never failed. She literally found it impossible to resist me. I could actually do it successfully to most wolves. Dominic thought it was because the position of Luna Luna meant more to them now, I held a special place in their hearts and they felt the need to be at one with me.

It was very useful when trying to break up arguments and mediate heavy discussions. My presence did something that Dominic couldn't emulate. All wolves wanted to please both of us, but in different ways. As the mother wolf they felt peaceful near me, and calmed in my presence more than anyone else, but they listened to Dominic as the one with the most authority.

There had been a big need for it since Golden Day, the day we turned our world on its axis and brought Ori's revelation and light to all wolves. It was a wonderful day and became an annual celebration but I had been right to think the journey wouldn't all be easy; there had been plenty of upsets and discussions on how things should be done, there were endless debates on how to make such massive changes within the structure of mates, families, packs. It was understandable, everything was new.

About eighty percent of wolves now wore a silver starfish pin. On Golden Day we fast ran out of them in Black Lake and had to commission more in a hurry. Marcus and Fiona issued the design to every pack a few months after the day, letting each pack know what it meant, so the little pin became the sign of Ori to all wolves.

The remaining twenty percent were either indifferent or rebellious. The rebels weren't a true threat to the New Way, but they made life unpleasant where they could. They refused to accept any of the changes we made and actively campaigned against them. Most chose to leave packs and formed their own little rogue groups led by the three Prestons, formally HCAPs, who stole enough silver to keep them in the lap of luxury, unwilling to put up with anything less. We opted not to pursue the issue, we had enough to deal with already.

Devante Marx on the other hand, had believed the miracles he saw and became a supporter of Ori, gaining his own brown wolf in the process. He joined Brogan Brogan in guiding and supporting Dominic.

The irony was that those who became rogues replaced all the previous rogues who chose to rejoin packs after Golden Day.

Dominic had managed to get the word around, informing them of the broadcast, and they were able to watch it on the screens every pack had at the edges of their territory, thereby giving every wolf a chance to witness change in action. Once it was obvious that packs were following the New Way, rogues applied to join them in droves.

It turned out a lot of rogues were like me and my parents; leaving packs because they could not support the way they were run. A lot of them already knew Ori and couldn't behave the way they were expected to inside the dictatorial environments. Golden Day brought them back within the fold, willing to help those who had previously detested them and their ideas.