Ch 5 - The Meeting

Copywrite to Veda Pettigrew

My Grandfather's gaze never wavered as he waited for me to start speaking. The problem is, I still don't know exactly what to say that won't get me into trouble.

Ori said quiet but strong should be my approach. So there's no point in getting myself into trouble listing all that I hated. Grandfather just wants me to show I understand pack ways.

So that's what I would do. Be clinical.

"The pack has a hierarchy, you are at the apex, then all the men starting with Beta, next is Gamma, then the Delta group which is Warrior Leader, Warrior Trainer, Warrior, then the Pi group which has all the intellectual jobs including Pack Doctor, teachers, and lawyers, then the Upsilon group which has the vocational jobs like carers, gardeners, and electricians, then last is the Omega group who do all the serving jobs.

"Next in your hierarchy are the women, all in the same groups but the Alpha female is called Luna. Have I got that right?"

"Yes Greta, continue," he stated sombrely.

"The men train every day for eight hours. The working day is the same length for everybody except the Omegas who are expected to work a minimum of ten hours. Some of the jobs are shift work, and there is always a doctor and two nurses on call."

"Why do you think we expect longer hours from the Omegas?" Grandfather raised one eyebrow.

I have no idea, other than to make their already unfair life more unfair.

I can't say that though. Think. What should I say?

"I'm not entirely sure Grandfather." I go with semi-honesty.

"Take an educated guess." His tone was all business. This must be a test of some sort. I need to pass it so I can talk again.

"I guess they have more work to do but there are a limited number of Omegas to do it?" I said hesitantly.

"Not fully right Greta. That is part of it, we can't expect higher wolves to do the menial jobs an Omega is responsible for. But the jobs need doing otherwise pack life would suffer."

I bit my tongue, desperately wanting to point out that this meant they deserved more credit within the pack, and better pay. Even working more hours, they earn less than half of what the Upsilons do. It was monstrously disproportionate.

But instead I bit so hard I tasted blood.

"But the main reason they work more is because they need to earn their worth to the pack." His face twisted disdainfully, "Omegas are pathetic, weak and stupid. They are a drain on our resources, this is why we will not waste any extra food on them." He looked at me disapprovingly.

"I know what you have been doing, I don't agree with it but there are no Originals that forbid it, so I shall let you continue. But now I hope you understand a bit more and reconsider your actions."

Far more blood was entering my mouth. I was unsure I could allow myself to speak for fear of what might come out.

I gave a miniscule nod and took a deep breath, "I understand your views."

But I don't agree with them.

He nodded, "Good."

"But I can continue?" I had to know, I wanted to have certainty when I fed them tonight and faced Grandmother's wrath. She will almost certainly expect me to stop after this meeting.

He frowned, "Maybe you don't understand after all."

I swallowed, "I understand your beliefs, but I can't sit at a table with hungry people and eat while they do not. I just can't."