Ch 28 - A Horrifying Beginning

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

I awoke with a pounding headache and a spiky pain on my chest. I moaned softly, trying to remember what had happened.

Immediately I felt a hand grasp mine. Its large size and strength told me it was Dominic. I tried to open my eyes but they felt heavy.

"Here Luna Luna," Sophie's soft voice said, I wondered why she sounded sad. "Drink this and you'll feel better soon. I'm so sorry."

I frowned, why? I felt a glass against my lips and lost my thoughts as I sipped the cool drink. I could taste a variety of plants and knew it was one of her miraculous concoctions. I willingly finished it all and lay back again, lifting my hand to the sore area on my chest, just below my left collarbone.

Before I could reach it however, Sophie grabbed it away. "Leave it be," she said with no reprimand in her tone, "It will heal magnificently. I had a special cream in the wings, Ori guided me to make it a while ago and I wondered why at the time. But ... well... it was perfect for this."

I frowned, perfect for what? The last thing I remembered was our mating ceremony. It went without a hitch, I followed the sequence of events muzzily, the clearing, the vows, the celebration wine.

"I told you I should stop drinking," I mumbled to Dominic. "You can't blame me."

"Of course I don't blame you," he rumbled, kissing my hand. I hummed in appreciation.

Another memory popped in my head, Dominic looking down on me, muttering something about me not feeling pain.

"What happened?" I tried to find the source of the soreness on my chest but this time he was the one to stop me.

"Leave it be my love, Sophie said it will heal quickly. She and Deseado spent a long time last night, tending to you. It will be perfect in no time." He kissed my other hand.

"What will be prf, perf, pyrf..." my voice trailed off sleepily as I felt a kiss to my forehead.

"Sleep now my angel. Next time you wake, your headache will be gone and you will be mostly healed."

I was too fuzzy to argue and I drifted off into oblivion.

I opened my eyes and looked around an unfamiliar room. It must be Dominic's judging by the scent. I inhaled deeply and smiled as he came out of the bathroom, hair wet from the shower.

"You're feeling better I trust?" he sat on the edge of the bed with an affectionate look on his face. I nodded, tentatively testing my headache, but it had gone completely. All that remained was an inability to think straight, clouds fuzzed in my brain, slowing me down.

I pushed myself up, but a strange pain on my chest made me wince.

"Here, let me help," Dominic stood and scooped me up gently.

"Ow," I tried to rub the area but he pulled my hand away. "Why does it hurt?"

He looked at me with a tinge of sorrow, sweeping back the hair that had fallen on my face. Lingering fingers explored my brow. "I hate that it does, that's why I wanted you to have the sleeping draughts. You've been asleep for a few days, we're actually in Black Lake. We arrived last night."

I shook my head confused and glanced to the window, "How? What? I don't understand."

"The first time you awoke was in Stone Mountain, Sophie gave you a healing sleeping draught she assured me would do a better job that the one the doctor prescribed. It obviously worked I'm glad to say, you appear much brighter waking up this time than the last. She also gave us a pot of special cream to put on regularly until you are healed. I will call the nurse to remove all your tubes now you are awake."