Ch 18 - El Suckador

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Over a hundred men from Riverfjord Plains Pack were pulling ropes as thick as their arms, hoisting the wooden beams that made the skeleton of the structure they would be living in for the next few weeks. Another fifty or so were dragging them into place, slotting them into pre-made holes in the ground.

It was fascinating to watch and the thing they were building was thoroughly impressive. It had a peculiar geometric shape, all curves and angles, and from what I could tell, they would be using some kind of material to make it into a humungous tent.

They were ninth of the sixteen packs expected. Black Lake Mountain were the first to arrive, Dominic had apparently summoned them to come a day early to meet me.

Their structure was a spectacular log mansion. Watching them working efficiently together reminded me of ants working in complete synchronisation, they steadily erected and fitted out the place that had to house nearly six-hundred and fifty people in record time. It had a massive central octagonal hub with crooked arms spreading out, each one with a specific purpose. In them would be the bedrooms, cooking areas, massage rooms that were apparently a must-have essential to keep the men in tip-top shape, and smaller communal areas.

To say I was in awe would be an understatement. It was a building suitable for generations, but only to be used for the next month. I wondered if all the structures would be as grand as the few I had seen so far. The whole process was astounding.

I had been taken to BlackBarn as it was called, by Hammer, meeting Dominic there. The inside was as impressive as the outside and the pack were gratified by my stupefied expression. Dominic had been pleased that it was his, well now our, pack that caused it.

The last week had been hard, not managing to see each other much in the time he had been here. He was either in the office, out on the training fields, or visiting and checking the progress of the packs. As a result we only managed to grab a few minutes each day. There had been one perfunctory tour of Stone Mountain together, but we were always surrounded by people. I was tired of not having the chance to get to know my mate better.

The good thing that came from it was that I had learnt to do my own brain fog so he couldn't just read my thoughts whenever he wanted. I'd even managed to make mine orange, just to zizz it up a bit.

His stupefied reaction when he first saw it had been hilarious, obviously not expecting either the fog, or the glorious sunrise colour.

As we walked into the BlackBarn Octagon, he had pulled me onto a raised platform in the centre and introduced me as his mate, the new Luna Luna of Black Lake Mountain Pack. There was applause and congratulations given, but they had to finish the inner structure before night set in, otherwise everyone would be sleeping in one big commune.

Dominic announced that we would have a proper celebration when we got to Black Lake and to carry on with their task. Straight after the brief introduction Hammer whisked me away, greeting a few of his warriors on the way.

"Greta."

A rough command from behind pulled me out of my reminiscences and had me gritting my teeth to stop from snapping.

Raoul. He had turned out to be both obnoxious and domineering, and everything I had been glad that Hammer was not.

I turned away from the sight of huge, colourful canvasses being hauled into place and saw him standing behind me with his ever present glower. "Yes?"

"Are you meant to be standing around doing nothing?" he accused.

"I'm not doing nothing, I'm watching the arrival of a fellow pack. The tent is stunning don't you think?" I turned back and saw the copious amounts of material billowing in the wind, hurried instructions were shouted out to get it under control.