Ch 10 - Secret Dance Party

Copywrite to VedaPettigrew

Despite my efforts to find out more, Luna remained tight-lipped about what happened between her and Alpha. But I couldn't imagine she meant anything other than he had raped her to force a mating and I was filled with anger on her behalf.

A lifetime mated to a man who raped you would drive you insane. I couldn't even cope with being in the same building as Jeremy. No wonder she was so uptight and obsessed with rule following, who knows what Alpha was like behind closed doors.

My heart ached for her.

I tried to make an apology for the strangling incident, but all I got for my effort was a lecture on how I should be more compliant. But this time, instead of internally rolling my eyes and fake listening, I tried to put myself in her position.

It was scary to realise that I could just as easily get demoralised enough to be like her. I shuddered and prayed it would never happen. Please Ori.

When we got to the kitchen, I was saddened to see my friends being ignored as usual. Their efforts last night were forgotten. It didn't seem to occur to the highers to acknowledge the people that had given up their own food to them.

It hurt to see their shoulders droop a little more each time they were passed by. I wanted to shake the other women, pointing out what effect they were having. But shouting at them wouldn't make a difference. This was what they had been groomed to be. It was all they knew.

Change takes time, and I hoped and prayed we would get there. I heard my mother's voice saying 'Anything worthwhile takes time, failures, and perseverance', and took courage. We wouldn't give up, last night was just the beginning.

After breakfast I went to Luna's study to work on the nursing-tent rotas for the upcoming competition, but I couldn't put pen to paper. Instead, I kept picturing my friends' sad faces. What could I do to cheer them up?

Maybe I could write them each a message in their notebooks, it seemed to help Sophie. Or I could make them a present of some sort... but to come up with five ideas, let alone make five things by tonight, would be impossible.

Unless... the present was some kind of dessert. I bet they've never had something like that in their whole lives.

Excited at the thought, I realised the kitchen would be empty while I was cooking dinner and I could bake something sweet while I was alone. The problem was that there was a regular food inspection and monitoring of ingredients, and if it was discovered that I used extra items, I would get into trouble. Again.

Although...? An idea struck me, a possible way to get away with it.

I thought it through a few times and realised it was my best option. Finally satisfied, I managed to work on the rota until I had had enough of being in Luna's windowless office, after which I headed to the sewing room via my bedroom, with the idea to mend some of my damaged clothing.

Plus, I wanted to have some style back in my life. I was fed up of these shapeless smocks. Even a few darts in the seams would give them some personality. But in reality, the main reason I needed to change them was hard to admit – that if I didn't alter them to undo at the back, they would be sliced open with scissors every night.

Unfortunately, in all my planning I forgot to take into account the fact that I while I was ok at sewing, it didn't extend to design in any way. I really needed to think things through better!

After an hour I was still sat staring at the material, willing it to spontaneously turn into exactly what I wanted. I even prayed to Ori for that miracle to happen, chuckling as I did - fairy godmother she was not. That obviously didn't work, however shortly after my plea, there was a knock at the door.