Ch 38 - Take Me Home

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

I dramatically slumped over one of the tables, moaning about the ridiculous way they kept all their important paperwork. Joan semi-watched me in bemusement as she valiantly tackled pile after pile, looking for the precious documents that would not only free thousands upon thousands of women from a life of drudgery, but also make Dominic my slave.

Right now, the thought of forcing him to do my every bidding was almost the most appealing. That sneaky mate of mine knew the state of this room, knew the tiny chance of finding the exact papers we needed and bet against me with stacked odds.

"You know, there's actually some order to the chaos," Joan mumbled, "You have to admit, it's very clever to keep it like this. For starters, nobody would believe this was important stuff, but it is. Do you know I'm holding the deeds to four different mines in my hand right now?" she wafted the papers in her hand. "I'm holding something worth billions and it's sitting around like it's insignificant tut."

That was a fair point, if someone came to steal something they'd come in here and think the heavy entrance system was for show and that the room was just a decoy. Clever.

"Also, if they did persist, like we are, there's very little hope they'd find what they came for in time, and get out undiscovered."

"True. Yes it's very clever. But I'd be more impressed if my mate hadn't cheated me out of winning the bet. We CAN'T lose, we must find them in time. That'll show him," I grumbled.

"We?" Joan couldn't keep the amusement out of her voice as she looked at me.

"I'm looking," I defended.

"How is lying on your back with your head hanging upside-down, looking?"

I held a bunch of papers aloft triumphantly and she laughed, "You had those same ones ten minutes ago."

"Fine, well then, I'm just pumping more blood into my brain to make it work better," I offered with a cheeky grin.

"That's working is it?"

I sat up and my head swirled uncomfortably. I groaned. "No actually. Sorry Joan, I'll help." I skipped to my feet and headed to an assortment of boxes, "I'll go through these."

We spent hours searching, but despite finding all sorts of interesting things, land deeds, birth records, financial plans, diaries, and eleven different revisions of law books, nothing yielded what we wanted. My head was aching with the lack of air and level of concentration needed, this was going to be a long and boring task.

"Don't forget we're visiting the children's compound tomorrow morning, so we won't have as much time down here," Joan warned, flicking through a book.

"I know, I'm excited to tell Beth that soon she'll be calling me Auntie Luna Princess," I teased happily. Joan had told me all about the evening she and Hammer had shared last night.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one to get a goodnight kiss.

"Don't you dare get that little girl's hopes up," she retorted defensively making me laugh out loud.

"You do realise you're being overprotective, almost like a ... hmmm... what's that word? Oh yes," I clicked my fingers, "Mother." I added a cheeky eyebrow raise to push my point home to the blushing woman, currently sticking her tongue out at me.

"Greetaaa," she whined, glancing to Hammer who was watching us from the door, a big grin on his face. "Stop embarrassing me."

"Helloooo... Mindlink!" I retorted.

She narrowed her eyes at me and I giggled.