Ch 24 - A Piece of Heaven

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Kat, Bee, Lacy and Sophie were all pleased for Joan at her promotion, though sad to lose their friend. It had been hard for me to face them afterwards, knowing they were wondering why they hadn't been asked to join me as well. I would bring them all in a heartbeat, but my instincts told me they were meant to stay.

I think Ori had plans for them that kept them in Stone Mountain.

When I told them that, they were somewhat mollified, especially when I said if they wanted me to approach Dominic about them coming too, I would. We talked it over for a long time and then went away for the night to sleep on it and ask Ori.

The next day revealed that she had given us each the definite impression that they should stay. There was more work to be done here, they all played an important role in the Starfish Pack, and I knew they would help Marcus when he took over as alpha.

He was the first male who understood the new perspective we stood for, and was perfect for the role. Fiona being the luna was an added bonus. When I left, I'd pass him the title and I'd become Alpha Alpha instead. A promotion for both of us!

Once Dominic understood the concept that Ori loved all her wolves equally and that no-one was better than another despite their rank, I would willingly defer my title to him. Ori intended for males to head packs with the strong support of their females.

As much as I loved being given the honour of changing lives, restoring their value, leading the unloved, and caring for them all, I felt the strain of sole leadership in a different way than Dominic would. He was literally born to be the head of pack, and although I was as well, it was in a different capacity.

It didn't bother me. Just the same as omega's not being lesser because of their rank, women were not lesser because they were meant to be Luna instead of Alpha. Males distorted the gift that the role should be. I wanted to reinstate its value.

A luna was a strong leader, designed to love, guide, cherish, help, support, give, fight for what was right, defend those in need. Essentially we were an empathetic alpha. An alpha needed a luna as much as a luna needed an alpha. The roles could work without the other, but were far better together.

There's no shame in being different. The key to life was trying to fit together by loving each other and allowing for our differences.

So... an easy task for me then Ori? I joked.

We were about to see the final one-on-one skin match. It was between Marcus and the warrior from Blue-Heather Volcano Pack, the one that Dominic wanted to steal. His name was Franco and he was fierce. Marcus definitely had his work cut out.

The winner of this fight was almost guaranteed to win the title and become Alpha of Stone Mountain. The fur fight would happen after lunch, giving the warriors a chance to rest, which certainly curried in Marcus' favour because Franco's wolf was nothing more than a shape he shifted into, unlike the powerful Ori-given Felix. The other tests that revolved around the dynamics of running a pack and planning battle strategies ran over the next week, but the majority of points were scored on the field in front of us.

All of Stone Mountain had turned out to see such an important match, this was their future. The area was full to the brim. We were in the largest clearing and extra seating had been assigned to try and stagger the height of the spectators, allowing everyone to see properly. There were plenty of people in the trees around as well.

The crowd was buzzing, excitement palpable. Fiona was the only female in the box as Franco didn't have a mate. She was anxious for her male and I was trying to be comforting, but nothing worked. I didn't blame her though, because Marcus was in for a beating, whatever the outcome. She had been right to say that the later fights were more vicious. Every one of the recent matches resulted in two pummelled warriors, bloody and bruised beyond recognition whether they were the victor or not.