Ch 31 - The Griffins

Copyright VedaPettigrew

Joan and I made our way to the packhouse once we could no longer stand to look through paperwork. Well, to be honest, once I couldn't. Joan was in her happy place and would stay there forever.

Hammer and Holden, another of my protectors, offered to take us on a tour of the building and led us into a grand foyer, large enough to allow a group to socialise and mill about with ease. There was also a huge meeting room filled with benches facing a small staged area, a dining hall which was comfortably able to feed around one-hundred and fifty, more at a squeeze, and the kitchen which we declined to enter until the end of the tour, hoping to meet the chefs properly.

The second floor was like the standard ground floor in a house and had two small breakfast rooms, a few sitting rooms, studies and other relaxation rooms. The upper floors were bedrooms, bathrooms and personal suite.

It was all tastefully furnished with an air of overstated elegance that made it feel almost unwelcoming. I had a strange thought that the person responsible for the interior design was trying too hard to fit into a mould of what they thought the packhouse of the head-pack should be. It felt sort of stilted and cold. It needed some warmth, something extra to turn it into the welcoming hub of the East Side.

Once we made it into the kitchen the first thing I noticed was its size. It was enormous, three times the size of the one at Stone Mountain. I was so struck it took a moment to notice the ten omega females who were preparing vast quantities of food.

As soon as we walked in, they had stopped working and curtseyed, frozen in place until I noticed them. Once I did, they stood but kept their heads low. I waited until they looked up, wondering what was happening and then I curtseyed back with a grin at their shocked faces. Joan copied me immediately.

"Hello, I came to introduce myself, I'm Luna Luna Greta Griffin. Though I expect you already know that." They all nodded and I indicated Joan, "This is my Personal Companion come Secretary, Joan Waterson."

"Hi," Joan smiled, "Please just call me Joan." I felt jealous that I could not say the same. One day, I promised myself.

They all just stared in silence so I decided to get the ball rolling and went up to one and put my hand on her shoulder, "It's a pleasure to meet you..."

"Elise," she said shakily. I smiled and repeated her name then went to another doing the same.

"Ella."

"Hannah."

"Jenna."

"Hilary."

"Delilah."

"Helga."

"Jojo."

"Penelope."

"Lana."

I went round them all, followed by Joan, until we found out all their names. "You'll have to excuse me if I forget, I might ask again."

"That's fine Luna, we won't mind," Hilary, the oldest, said.

"Good. Now what are you making? It smells delicious." I went to one of the bubbling pots and took a deep breath, "Mmmm, bolognese, I love this. It smells just like mine, you must use the same herbs."

Hilary looked surprised, "It's my own recipe. You like cooking Luna?"

"Yes, I love it," I found another pot to sniff. "What's this?"

"It's a vegetable dish we use to bulk up the latter portions if they run short," Jenna offered. "Although we try to make enough for everybody, sometimes we don't calculate right. This is like a buffer."