Chapter 36: On My Own

*~At Konoha's Hospital~*

Tenten's P.O.V

"What happened to Kisaru?!" Tsunade-sama exclaimed worriedly.

"I'll explain later, mother. Right now, we have to do immediate operation." Nanami-san said.

"Right. I'll get an OR ready." she said.

"Nanami! Will Kisaru be alight?!" Gus-san asked as he grabbed her arm before following the nurses that were about to bring Kisaru to the OR.

"I'll do everything I can. You can wait in front of OR 4." Nanami-san said. Then, she went inside a prep room with 3 or 4 other doctors. Gus already headed over to OR 4, leaving me, Neji and Lee.

"Tenten, can I talk to you?" Neji called out to me.

"Alright, Neji!" I said happily, then followed him outside. He stayed silent for a moment then looked at me with a serious face.

"Alright, Tenten. I need you to tell me what really happened." he said sternly.

"Didn't I already explain it to you guys earlier?" I said, trying to hide my pride and trying to act inncent.

"There's no way in a trillion years would Kisaru act like that. I need you to tell me. Please." he begged me.

"So? And what would you do if Kisaru really did act like that?" I asked.

"Please, Tenten, I promise I won't tell on you. Please, just tell me what happened." He insisted. I took a while and thought about it hard.

"Fine... I pushed her." I admitted.

"But why, Tenten? You were always so sweet and kind and compassionate. And You and Kisaru were like the best of friends!! Why would you do something like that to her?" he asked me.

"I did it for you!!" I exclaimed.

"Honestly, I didn't really mean to push her off the cliff, she just fell! I stabbed her then she stumbled. I did it all for you! I only made that story up so you'll think badly of her. I just wanted you to pay attention to me!!" I said as tears started to stream down my face.

"Tenten, I'm sorry but I'm already in love with Kisaru. And no matter what you say or think about her, I don't think it'll be ever enough to change my love for her. I'm so sorry, Tenten." he said to me, giving me a comforting hug. I was frozen for a moment then I immediately hugged back. We pulled away then exchanged small smiles.

"So it really is useless, huh? You'll love Kisaru no matter what." I said, wiping away my tears.

"Yeah. But that won't change anything between us, Tenten." he said.

"Geez! Stop saying sorry! It makes me feel worse!!" I said as I playfully shoved him.

"Alright, alright. Anyway, I need to wait for Kisaru until she comes out of the OR. I'll see you later." he said, going back inside the hospital. Sadness overwhelmed me as I headed back home.

The air went cold and it started to rain. I guess it really is no use to pursue Neji... On my own, pretending he's beside me. All alone, I walk with him till morning. Without him, I feel his arms around me, and when I lose my way I close my eyes, and he has found me. In the rain the pavement shines like silver. All the lights are misty in the river. In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight and all I see is him and me forever and forever. And I know it's only in my mind, that I'm talking to myself and not to him. And although I know that he is blind, still I say, there's a way for us. I love him, but when the night is over, he is gone, the river's just a river. Without him, the world around me changes. The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers. I love him, but every day I'm learning. All my life, I've only been pretending. Without me, his world will go on turning. A world that's full of happiness that I have never known. I love him, I love him, I love him... But only on my own...
[Obviously, original song: "On My Own" sang by Samantha Barks from Les Miserables]

Neji's P.O.V

Kisaru, Tsunade-sama, and Nanami-san stayed in the OR for at least 4 hours. Gus-san and I were in hot water as we waited for the operation lights to go off. Both of us couldn't seem to stay still. By then, it already started raining and the sun has set already. I was worried sick and so was Gus-san. Then finally, the operation light turned off and a nurse came out. Gus and I immediately stood up.

"What's Kisaru's condition now, nurse?" Gus-san asked.

"She has been stabilized and is now staying in the ICU." she said.

"Can we go and visit her?" I asked.

"I'm afraid not. Visiting ours are over. But please feel free to visit again tomorrow." she said.

"Okay. Thank you, nurse." Gus san said as he walked down the hall way.

"Um, excuse me." I said to the nurse before she was able to go back to her duties.

"Yes? What may I do for you?" she asked me with a smile.

"May I please just give me at least 5 minutes. Just to see how she's doing. Please, I beg of you." I pleaded the nurse.

"Well... I guess I can give you 5 minutes. But please, try not to wake her up." she said.

"Thank you so much." I said as I followed her to Kisaru's room. She opened the door quietly then let me in. I walked over quietly to Kisaru's bedside. She looked horrible. She had so many tubes and wires stuck everywhere and she was wrapped in bandages almost like a mummy. But she still looked beautiful. I sat down on the small chair then marveled at her beautiful sleeping figure. Wow, even when she's just asleep, she's beautiful... I gently held her freezingly cold hand, careful not to move any of the wires.

"I'll always protect you. I'll do anything for you. Please, just try to stay alive... I won't pursue you anymore... Just stay alive... For my sake. I promise..." I whispered as I gently squeezed her hand and made her cold and lifeless hand cup my warm cheek.

"Please... Stay alive... For me."

(Aw... :3 Tenten isn't so bad after all... :D And I wonder what'll Neji do for Kisaru next?? :3 Stay Tuned for the next chapter!!! :D)