6| I will get on my knees for you.

When you meet someone special,
you'll know.
Your heart will beat more rapidly and
you'll smile for no reason.

Adalynn's POV

We make eye contact, but I quickly look away. After everyone settles in their chairs, my parents start talking. Woah, Ashton's family has excellent genes, unfair.

"We have received intel that we are both getting threats from the same gang." My mom starts.

"We were thinking we should form a temporary alliance." My dad adds.

I discreetly look in Ashton's direction and see him already looking at me. He's definitely just been staring at you the whole time. My parents explain the benefits and answer the questions Ashton's parents ask.

"Are we in agreement?" My dad asks after they're done talking.

"I agree. Threats to either of our children are unacceptable." Ashton's dad says.

"We should let the kids have a say." Ashton's mom says, motioning to Ashton and me.

"What do you call yourselves?" I ask. I'm pretty sure everyone knows except me. The least your parents could have done is tell us who we're meeting.

"I'm the leader of Mayhem, Lynn," Ashton says, smirking. I immediately glared at him.

I get up from my chair and walk up to him. "You guys ambushed our trade," I say, jabbing my finger at his chest.

"They told us you guys didn't have enough money and wanted backup," Ashton says, restraining my wrists.

"That's impossible, my friend checked the money, and we had the exact amount," I say confidently. Mila always double-checks!

"Well, it wasn't enough when they checked, Lynn," Ashton says quietly.

Someone clears their throat behind us, and we immediately separate. Awkward.

Our parents continue to discuss among themselves, and my dad ends with, "Thank you for agreeing to meet Mr. and Mrs. Walker."

"I wish it were under different circumstances, but I'm glad we can work together on this." Mrs. Walker says, hugging my mom.

We go our separate ways, but not before Ashton grabs my hand. He gives me a slip of paper and winks at me.

"See you at school." He whispers against my ear. I feel my cheeks flush and scold myself. I roll my eyes and trail behind my parents.

When we got into our car, my mom said, "You cannot tell anyone about this arrangement."

"Got it," I say, nodding, even though they're not looking at me. I glance at the paper and see Ashton gave me his phone number. When I return to my room, I enter it into my phone and rename the contact.

Ashton 😒:

I can't believe you're capable of being the leader of Mayhem