18| She's not here!

As your feelings for someone grow stronger,
so does your fear of losing them.

Kathy's POV
(This is Adalynn's mom. Also, the main character from The Nerd is a Fighter!)

I finally finished all my work and decided to go to the kitchen for a drink. I see Anthony watching tv, and he says, "Hey, Sunshine, how was work?"

"Boring, but at least I'm done for the week," I say as he wraps his arms around my waist.

He smiles and leans down to kiss me. He subtly lifts me and places me on the countertop. "I love you." He murmurs against my lips.

I sigh joyfully, and he asks, "Where's Adalynn?" Maybe get a quickie in before she returns? Oddly, she isn't back, though.

"I told her to go get some groceries." I glance at the clock and see it's 5:00 pm. "She should be back by now... She left two hours ago." You should call her.

"I'm gonna call her," I say. I press on her contact, but it goes straight to voicemail.

"She's not picking up," I say, turning to Anthony. She usually never misses a call unless she's sleeping.

"I'll check her room. Can you try calling her?" I ask him.

"Of course." He says, quickly getting his phone out. I bolt up the stairs and knock on the door. When I get no answer, I open it and see no one in sight. Fuck.

I sprint back down the stairs and shout, "She's not here! I'm checking her tracker on her phone."

My heart drops when it shows her location can't be found. It says she's gone offline. "Adalynn would never turn this off. She's the one who wanted to make sure we knew where she was at all times." I say, starting to panic.

"Let's drive to the store and see if she's still there," Anthony says, grabbing his keys. We get into his car and get on the road.

"What if she got taken?" I ask anxiously.

"We'll find her." He says calmly, trying to reassure me. But we both know deep down there's something wrong.

We finally get to the parking lot and spot her car. But that doesn't ease my worry. We walk towards her car and notice the door is slightly open. "The car is unlocked," I say, even more worried.

Anthony opens the trunk and says, "The groceries are here."

"She was kidnapped," I say. "Evanescent took her!" I say, trying not to cry.

"I tried hacking the security camera footage, but somebody erased the time frame she was here." He says.

"How are we going to get her back?" I ask, feeling a few tears trickle down my cheek. Anthony leads me back to the car so that we can make a plan.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Ashton's POV

I was watching a random movie when my mom barged into my room. "We need to go to Adalynn's house." My mom says in an urgent voice.

"Why?" I ask, confused.

"Adalynn's been kidnapped." She says. The second she says those words, I stumble out of bed and bolt down the stairs.

We all head for the car in silence, and all I can hear is my heart pounding in my ears. I'm going to kill whoever took her. When we arrive at Adalynn's house, Mr. Ryder leads us to the basement.

We enter through a hidden door on the side, and the whole place is tricked out with computer screens and other technology. "The tracker on her phone is disabled, so let's assume they destroyed her phone." Mrs. Ryder says.

"Her last known location is near an abandoned building on fifth street. Which is a perfect hideout since there are underground tunnels that used to be used for sewage." She exclaims.

"Let's go save our future daughter-in-law." My mom says, grabbing a gun from Mrs. Ryder.

"Wait. Her necklace." I blurt out.

I grab my phone and show them my screen. "She said she thought she was being followed, but then she said she was being paranoid. I should have met up with her. I could have prevented-"

"It's not your fault." Mr. Ryder says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"All that matters is that we have clues. We'll check both locations and get these motherfuckers." Mrs. Ryder says with determination.

<~~~~~~~~~~>

Do you think they'll find her in time?

Will all of them make it out alive? 😜

I don't know, either. I'm winging it!

Byeeeeeeeeee! 👋