11| We're together on this.

Anyone can make you happy
by doing something special.
But only someone special can make you happy without doing anything.

Adalynn's POV

"Do you think there's a mole in our gang?" I ask my parents when I get back.

"It's a possibility with all the shit we're dealing with. What specifically happened?" My mom asks.

"Evanescent ruined another transaction," I say. "Can you guys redo background checks on everyone in our gang? I just have this nagging feeling..." I say.

"Of course, Sweetheart." My dad says.

"We'll tell you if we find anything out of the ordinary." My mom says.

"Thank you!" I say, hugging them.

I return to my room and grab my phone. Should I tell Ashton a mole might be in my gang? What's the worst that could happen?

He decides not to work with me anymore. He stops being my friend and ignores me for the rest of my life. Aww, you want him in your life? Shut up. If he thinks this alliance idea is stupid, he might build connections with other gangs.

I stare at my phone and debate on calling him or not. I force myself to press on his contact to call and wait for him to pick up. Maybe he won't even answer! It could go straight to voicemail.

"Are you okay, Lynn?" Ashton immediately asks.

"I need to talk to you about something... in person," I say.

"Are you home?" He asks. 

"Uh-huh," I answer.

"I'm leaving now." He says, ending the call. I told you you were overreacting. He thinks it's serious too.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

Ashton drives us to Sonic and pays for my food. After they give us our food, we roll up the window for privacy. Then Ashton says, "There's something I need to tell you too..."

"You can go first," I say, taking a quick sip from my drink.

His eyes widen in surprise, and he stammers, "I like... I have..." He looks away, sighs, and says, "The cherry slush is Sonic's best slushy." He's acting strange. And that's so not true.

I awkwardly chuckle and say, "Wrong, but I'll let it slide since you let me steal some tater tots. I think there's a mole in my gang." What a smooth transition.

He chokes on his drink and starts coughing. "Oh shit, are you okay?" I ask, patting his back. Is that even the right thing to do?

"I'm good." He says, slightly wheezing.

"Do you know who the mole is?" Ashton asks.

"No... But I could be wrong. It's just that when I went to make another trade, Evanescent came and shot up the whole place. No one should have known we were there." I say.

"If that happened to you, I think there's a mole in my gang. We were buying ammunition from someone, and Evanescent ambushed us." Ashton says.

"Do you know who your mole could be?" I ask.

"Nope." He says, sighing.

"What if there are two moles? Like one a part of your gang and one from mine? They could be working with Evanescent." I say.

"Fuck." Ashton says, frustrated.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this," I say with determination.

"That was never in question. We're together on this." He says, matching my tone.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

My mom hands me a stack of folders. "What's all of this...?" I ask.

"So we went through every single file and didn't find anything suspicious. But we wanted you to check and see if you found anything." My mom says.

"Oh," I say. I thought they would have found something.

"I'm sorry... I can try again if you'd like?" She asks, not knowing how to help. "Or I can look into all the people we work with? That one will take more time, but there could be a chance the mole isn't in our gang."

"That would help. Thank you so much for these files, though. I'll take a look at it with my perspective, and maybe I'll be able to figure it out." I say.

"Maybe Ashton can help?" She asks.

"That's a great idea," I say, hugging her.

I place the folders on my desk and start flipping through each file. A few minutes later, I grab a pillow and scream into it. "Why does this have to be so complicated?!" I complain.

Soon it's midnight, and I decide to go to sleep. I wonder if Ashton found the mole a part of his gang. I wonder what he's doing right now. Probably sleeping, you idiot.

Ya, but- Shut up! Why are you even thinking about Ashton? Because- You know what, I don't care! Just get him out of my mind. The author doesn't want that, though. Author?

Never mind. Just keep thinking about how Ashton makes you smile. He doesn't make me smile! Then why are you smiling right now?

<~~~~~~~~~~>

I hope you liked this chapter! 😊

Byeeeeeeeeee! 👋