CHAP 20. Deadly Smile

ZARA'S POV

Class X, 18 January 2016

He is a dimwit. I mean why does that girl keeps looping around him like his satellite. The idiot, he keeps on entertaining her. She is so annoying. Doesn't he see it too?

I wanton furiously down, out of the area where exhibition was going on. I headed for the washroom. Though I really needed some fresh air but there ain't nothing as good as a trip to paradise, oops washroom.

I enter one of the stalls and sit in there for a while. Few minutes later, I could hear faint giggles of some girls outside as they talked, no gossiped about some kid or the other. Highschool will always be highschool.

I know me sitting and spending time while doing nothing inside a stall is clearly odd (and unhygienic too). But it kind of relaxed me and my numbing brain. It has come to me as a habit nowadays. Even at home I would lock myself up in my bathroom for hours doing nothing.

As someone wise once said - Bathroom is the best place to think. Very true.

And that is what exactly I am doing right now.

I need to clear my clouded thoughts right away or in few days I'll roam about like a mad man. I ran my hands through my hair in frustration. Out of nowhere, I felt tears form in my eyes.

Suddenly I felt as if they were bloodshot. Deprived of sleep.

My breath started heaving  and I remembered again what was the reason I was in here, Abhi. I know for sure that now I can't stop myself falling for him anymore. Because I have already.

No matter how much I try to deny, it is what it is.

I was in constant denial because I am afraid to let him in. I am afraid to let him in first.

I know it's all nonsense that a boy should always approach a girl for the matter of hearts. But I tried it in past. And it all went south hill. I don't want that with Abhi.

I was afraid of my past. I was afraid of his past.

Loving Shivi was a settled matter now. He admitted to me that he has forgotten her and moved on. Initially, I questioned - Did he really?

But now, now that wasn't the right question to address. The right one was - Am I really ready to let him go because of that?

No.

A big smile crept on my face without me realising. How must I be looking right now? Inside a stall, seated and smiling like a fool all to myself.

I immediately rushed out of the stall and went in front of the mirror.

Agjghkkudf.

The fish. I look like a rotten fish. Opening the faucet I splashed some cold water to my face. I untied my messy hair looking like a nest to be exact due to constant running of my hands through them in frustration. In there, I felt like I pulled them out of their roots.

I could salvage my look. I hand combed my hair and managed to look decent. Tying it back up, I flashed myself a discrete smile.

I can do this.

In that moment I decided I was going to let him know. I am going to tell him how much he matters to me, really.

___

"Did I do something wrong?" Abhi said while he rubbed the nape of his neck.

God! He looked so innocent and cute.

But why do you have to be so clueless?

"Everything." I scoffed.

"Excuse me?" He left it as a question. Obviously he was shocked.

My initial way to approach was to just jump on him and admit my undying love for him. But that would have been totally a different story.

Baby steps, Zara. Baby steps. Or else he will run away and never comeback.

"You don't get it really, do you?" I hoped that maybe he had an idea. Maybe he had an inclination of where this was going.

"No, I don't. But that is why you are here - to tell me."

"Zara, come here. I need you!" There was a stern shout from Krrish. He was still very busy with the audience.

The judges were yet to come. And the exhibition would be over in what - next two hours.

But can't you see Krrish I am in the middle of a life and death situation.

"What?"

I shouted in a little too meaner tone than i intended.

"Come here, Please." He pleaded.

"Okay, fine."

Abhi still had his eyes on me. Them coal black ones with a hint of brown in there.

"I'm coming in five." I pouted a little in the end of it.

"I'll stay here, come fast."

"Stay."

I stood up from the heightened platform near the tables and went straight for Krrish. But I could feel a pair of eyes behind me. A set of beautiful black pair behind me.

___

Fifteen minutes later I was back to being seated on my place. But Abhi wasn't there. He was at his table.

Apparently the judges had finally decided to show up. So it was necessary for all the team members to be present at the time of evaluation.

Our evaluation was a struggle because Afreen had very little to do with our project. She had hardly helped. If we win this by any chance the credit is going to Krrish.

After minutes of waiting, stealing glances and stupid eye contact Abhi made his way towards me with his deadly smile.

Stay there a little bit longer heart.

***

Zara: Vote for my heart to survive that deadly smile.