Confrontations

Hushed whistles of underground draft slipped through the sealed walls of the HotLands laboratory that early, what was assumed to have been and seemingly so, morning. With it came particles of sand and rock sediment, dusting the entryway of the elongated room almost perfectly simulating sawdust. Fluorescent LED lights shone brightly against the mint and white checkered tile floor, reflecting a glow onto furniture that scattered across the lab in disarray.

Broken beakers line the walls in a hundred shards, looking to have been thrown and shattered deliberately in a fit of sheer rage. Menacing as the scene appeared no real chaos had taken place in the long stressful hours before. Sheets covered in unworldly lettering surrounded themselves in sky blue, ghostly capsules while they flittered about in the air. Each being flipped and turned over repeatedly more so than need be.

A bitter mug of coffee idolizes itself alone on the corner of a desk surrounded by paperclips, staples, along with other forms of office supply. Multiple rings had formed over the wooden surface, each bearing the scent of old caffeine from days long passed. Grounds of the substance began to pool in the bottom of the chipped mug forming an immersed black sludge.

The fury of thunderous stomping echoed through the caverns of the desert biome accompanied by the sound of a spear dragging through grains of igneous rock. At the sight of the large building, the dragging quickens to a stop, the tip of it now hoisted upwards, pointing towards the laboratory's massive doors. Its perceiver breathes heavy, sweating madly in her suit, tie undone and scales glistening against the lights of the establishment as she storms in without notice. Fuming, Undyne slams her fist against a nearby wall, grunting through grit teeth.

"Hey, Bonehead!!"

Across the room, Sans slowly turns his head. His sockets are droopy and carry deep dark circles from sleep deprivation. An emotionless gaze stares back at the fish monster's furious one, unfazed by the sudden disturbance. He sighs, rolling his pupils and turning his back to her stepping away some feet. His newly found white lab coat ripples behind him as he continues crossing his arms and flipping pages with blue magic. His response is blunt and uncharismatic.

"Cod."

"What the hell have you been doing?" She grunts, gripping her spear tightly. She had half expected this from him after all. Why would he voluntarily face her the way things are now? It was no shock that he'd turn his back on her. He'd done the same to just about everyone else, so what difference did it make to see him doing so now?

Sans places his papers beside him on the table, guilt drinking him up and consuming his numb facade. "What does it look like I've been doing? I've been working. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that."

With the swift plunge of her burning spear, Undyne manages to slice a deep cut into the side of Sans' cheekbone from behind. It ironically bleeds out in streams, forcing the skeleton to jolt at the touch of it. The feeling of warm thick liquid dripping down his jaw onto his chest was enough to make his heart stop. With the jerk of his shoulder, Undyne roughly turns him around.

"That isn't what I was trying to imply, you jackass!! I meant--!! Exactly where in your right mind did you think it would b okay to do any of this?!"

She shoves him back, her brows creased in anger and disappointment in her gold eye. "Where'd that caring, kind, and straight up doofus you used to be go?! What good does it do you to just shut yourself in like this?!"

When he doesn't answer immediately, Undyne continues in a low growl.

"What are you trying to prove, Sans?"

San clenches his jaw, uttering spitefully "Nothing. I'm not out to prove myself to you or anyone. I'm doing my job."

"Doing your job and completely isolating yourself are two totally different things."