Souless

"Aight, sweetheart. Here's what I've got for you; First off," He smirks devilishly, as if he was about to make a vulgar remark, but instead raised a finger "I need to know what you understand about souls right now."

"Nothing, I know almost nothing of them other than the fact that they keep monsters alive," I answer bluntly, continuing with my arms resting against the metal table as he sighs.

Sans slides the book over, leaning back in his chair and folding his hands together in the front of his face. The lights reflect off his glasses, making it slightly hard to see his sockets.

"Okay then. For starters, your right. Souls are the essence of every monster's being. They hold our emotions such as anger, love, passion, lust, joy, sorrow, grief and so on.

"Monster souls and human souls may be the same shape, but most of the time our souls are considerably different from one another. While a wide variety of monsters souls are white, there are still those select few with color.

"When a monster's soul isn't white, it nine-times-outta-ten indicates that the monster is notably stronger than other monsters. This monster would be referred to as a boss. Unlike our race, your race's souls are all colored unless one of your kind has an illness, or a disability maybe.

"Human souls have always been the most substantial, no questions asked. They are filled with overwhelming energy that we monsters simply don't have on our own."

He smiles solemnly, opening his eyes to look at me. My heart begins to race as he speaks, his words smooth.

"I remember, you were the strongest one we've come across here in the underground. Unlike the others, you and your brother were the only two with DT. Yours was different from his though... Warmer and inviting rather than cold and isolated like his."

I cock my brow, sitting up some and raising my head out of my arms. "DT. That's Determination... I thought my brother's color would be different than mine-."

"Correction; Trait. You thought he had a different trait than you. And on that note, you're partly right."

"And why am I not completely?" I ask, looking him in the eye for a long time.

Sans stood up, removing the tape from his glasses and folding the arms of them together. Setting them down on the book in front of him, he pushed himself up and began walking around the lab, his back to me.

" He and I got into a short fight one time when he was little, and he ran off somewhere. The brat decided to eat some yellow flowers and ended up being poisoned from doing so. Well, when he died a few days later, Asriel broke his soul in two so they both would live on." He turned on his heel, looking back at me with a serious expression "Which is why Chara now has the powers of a monster, like how he summons his sword and shield. That's part of Asriel's magic helping him when he trains. They share the same life source, basically."

I hum in understanding, biting the knuckle on my thumb in thought. He was telling me a lot, even though he didn't need to, nor did he know anything. He just did what I asked. Always there, well, mostly.

I rub up and down my face, voice muffling on and off while doing so "Tell me about the different traits."

Sans grinned, "Alrighty then, your royal highness, only because we're friends and I don't want you to burn my table." He puts his hand over his ribcage, a dark blue glow emitting from his clothes and coming out through the bones of his fingers. He points at his 'soul', and it hovers closer towards me, at the edge of the table. He moved towards it, talking again.

"There are seven different traits if you didn't already know. Red stands for determination, orange bravery, yellow justice, green kindness, perseverance purple, patience light blue." he points at his soul again, the blue heart glowing evenly, enough to light up his skull in hues. "And of course, blue. For integrity. If you were to show me yours would be around the same size, shape, and etc. But unlike mine yours would be a lot brighter. But of course, I won't make you show me, seeing how it's a very personal thing. But hell, I'm a numbskull who doesn't give a damn at this point. Also, I'm not shy about science."

I roll my eyes, unable to keep myself from smiling. I love him, but I hate him.

After a few minutes of thinking more, I finally lay it all on the line, hoping he won't question me but assuming he will.

"So, the barrier. I heard something about you needing seven souls to break it... Is that true?"

Sans pushed his soul back into his chest, his brow bones furrowed and one blue iris flickering. I could hear his fists clenching against one of the books, sending fret through my veins. I bite down on my fear and keep a strong tone. "I heard that you needed seven human souls, and they each need to be different. Is that all you need?"

"What I need is for you to stop thinking about that and get out." He suddenly growled.

I feel cold.

"W-what? But I was just-"

"I know what your doing, Frisk. And it's stupid. Extremely. I tried to ignore it, but now I can't."

I blink and he's furiously turning my chair around, now forcing me to look at him, his fingers holding my chin firmly.

I stop breathing, the rest of the room seems to disappear and the entire world hushed just so the only thing I can hear is him and the thundering of my heart.

"If you try to break the barrier, you're sure as hell gonna either fail and permanently damage your soul, or you'll die trying to free everyone else."

I let out a breath of relief, despite the tears I wanted to cry.

"These are things I already know."

"If you know then why the hell are you still going through with it?" His grip on me and the back of my chair tightened.

"Because It's the last thing I need to do, Sans. I've done everything else. I've made my friends, I've become part of a real family, and I've fallen in love. There's nothing more I want then for those who trust me to keep trusting me and to see the stars again."

"Well, what about the guy who's still in love with you? Do you honestly believe he'd be okay with seeing you practically kill yourself before he can kiss you again, or apologize for everything?"

I felt Sans's hand run up to my cheek slowly when he asked me this, still angry but less so.

I didn't know what to do. He said he was still in love with me, and that he was sorry. That's all I wanted for him to tell me, then I wanted to hold his hand and pretend nothing happened. But now... With how things are, I've already said and made up my mind, it seems. There was just... one thing I had to do, I guess.

I stood and walked past him, hurrying through the lab until I found Alphys's elevator to the core and ran in, my heart not ceasing to beat without skipping.

I'm supposed to be an angel, but now I feel like the devil for walking out on something so precious. Something I wish I could call mine. 

((Choppy, short, ik. But hell, I tried and did good. The picture isn't my art, nor is the music if I added any. I highly recommend listening to that btw, good song, and it goes with the chapter in a way. The photo actually looks exactly like what Sans looks like in this Au, clothes and all. Hope you enjoyed, much love! 

~Eko)