Not the Best Summer

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT READ THIS STORY IF YOU HAVE NOT READ LOVE CHANGES FIRST!

      It's been two months since Lindsey, my mom, Jenna, and Alex were killed by Klaus. Mostly, Stefan gave himself over to Klaus for me and Damon, mostly because of Damon. When I woke up from my unconsciousness, I found a letter in my jacket. I was in Stefan's room when I was awake, so how I got here, blows my mind. The letter was the only thing left of Stefan that I could hold onto, especially because of what's in it. I re-read everyday so it's basically programmed in my memory.

    "Evelyn,

        I'm sorry I left you. It pains me and it will continue to pain me to not be with you. I love you so much and it's because I love you, I had to leave. I'm no longer good or safe for you. What I did was for you and Damon. I'm never coming back, at least not in your lifetime. It wouldn't be safe for you or Mystic Falls. I will always love you but I need you to move on. Find someone who can make you happy in ways that I couldn't. You are the most incredible, beautiful, talented, and intelligent girl, I've ever met. Forget about me and move on, it's the only way to be happy. I love you.

    Stefan"

       Anyways, not a lot has happened since Stefan left except my 18th birthday. It was supposed to be a great day but I was too deep in sadness to move on, I couldn't listen to the letter. It was too depressing, living my life without Stefan. Caroline and Elena had to drag me out of bed that morning. Caroline invited our close friends(well, the gang) over to the Boarding House for a small party. I get gifts like every person on their birthday, but they never struck a nerve. This year, however, is a different story. I had opened every gift when Damon pulled out a small rectangular box.

    FLASHBACK, MAY 15TH

       "Wait, there's one more." Damon announced. I was surrounded by glorious gifts: dresses, books, jewelry, songbooks, shoes, and variety of colored blazers. Damon handed me a gift wrapped in silver paper with a royal blue bow.

   "Who's it from?" Caroline asked, folding some of the clothes. I shrugged and unwrapped the gift. My eyes widened and my hand covered my mouth when my jaw dropped. It was a baby blue hard-back diary, my name was written in white cursive except instead of Evelyn Grace, it said Evelyn Grace Salvatore. There was a white band, holding together the front & back of the book. I flipped open the cover and skimmed through the pages.

   "Eve, there's a card that fell." Elena said, holding up a card. I took it, examining it then tears filled my eyes.

  "Lyn, you ok?" Bonnie asked, placing her hand on my shoulder.

  "It's f-rom S-tefan." I gasped through tears. Elena hugged my shoulders and I glanced up at Damon. "Did you know?" He shook his head no. I hugged the diary close to my chest, I can't believe he bought this before.

Present, 2010

    Stefan gave me a diary that I haven't opened since I got it, but I woke up this morning and decided I would plus I feel really good. The reason is because it is Elena Gilbert's 18th Birthday, a girl's eighteen birthday is a special day. You finally reach that age where you're a legal adult. Though Elena isn't too happy about today because one, she's worried about me and two, she wants to find Stefan. Don't get me wrong, I want to find him too. In fact, I've spent these two months, tracking him and Klaus with Ric & Damon. Anyways, being 18, you look at the world differently. You don't need a guardian, so that being said, Damon isn't my guardian anymore. I hold onto the locket everyday, just hoping he'll come home.