Chapter 19 - It's just a breath away

Title Credit: Breathe Today by Flyleaf 

+++ 

"Talk," my brother James said. It sounded more like an order however. I took a deep breath.

"Okay. So, as I told you, I wasn't alone yesterday," I begun.

"Yes. And it wasn't Alex. Right?" he looked at me. He still didn't believe me. Or he just wanted to be sure.

"No James. It wasn't Alex," I assured him and already seemed to relax.

"Then who it was?" he asked curious now. I winced; my mouth twisted as I frowned a bit. He chewed his food as he waited for me to answer.

"It's been going on for three weeks," I begun "No one else knows yet and I would like to keep it that way for now."

"Okay," he frowned as he spoke slowly and took a sip of his drink.

"I was with Damien," I said. James almost choked.

"As in the twin's brother, Damien? Damien Simmons?" he asked; his eyes wide. Was that such a bad thing? Not a good first reaction.

"Yes. Now stop repeating his name please," I said, my voice small, as I took a bite of my food and looked rapidly around in case there was anyone I knew sitting within a hearing distance. James chuckled suddenly and I turned my eyes towards him.

"It was about fucking time sis!" he smiled. I blinked. Huh? "You were head over heels for the guy for almost a century. It was about time you two got together."

"Fuck. Was it that obvious?" I winced. What if everyone else could tell I was in love with him? What if Max and Cleo noticed? Is this why my mom always making jokes about wanting him to marry me?

"Well, yeah." I frowned. "But don't worry, you confused everyone when you started going out with Alex," he narrowed his eyes as he said the name. My chest ached for a split of second but then my thoughts turned to Damien. "So, when are you planning on talking to Cleo and Max?"

I groaned in response. "I'm working on it. Damien is bugging me enough, you don't have to be in on that too," I narrowed my eyes at my brother.

[+++]

With Christmas being only two weeks away, I was feeling more and more anxious. My first exams were near and I knew I had to talk to Cleo and Max. And I had to do it soon. The stress was overwhelming. I couldn't deal with it anymore. It had to be done!

Since I talked to James yesterday, I figured that it would be easier if I talked soon to the twins. I texted Max to go out for coffee with me when I knew Cleo was busy with Mike. As I was waiting for him, I was only sure for one thing; that Max could locate me from the door without even looking for me. My heart was bouncing so hard that I was pretty sure he would be able to hear it as soon as he stepped into the shop.

I greeted him with a smile when he sat down next to me and asked him what he would like to drink. I offered to get our drinks just to calm myself down. I returned to our table five minutes later.

"Dude, stop fidgeting. What's wrong?" he frowned. I was so transparent sometimes.

"I need to talk to you about something," I mumbled.

"Sure," he nodded.

"Please don't freak out on me cause I need you," I winced and looked at him.

"Are you back with Alex?" he frowned.

"What is wrong with you people? Why would I do that?" I exclaimed.

"Okay okay," he raised his palms up in defense "Now I know it's not that, I'm all ears," he said.